Very Picky Bride-To-Be

Decorating By JessicakesBakes Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 1:41pm by Mom_of_one

JessicakesBakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 14

I am a non-professional, purely-because-I love it baker.

We have a girl at work who is getting married this summer. We always throw a little shower here in the office. We have lunch brought in an usually pick up a cake from the local bakery. This time the office manager has asked me is I would make the cake. Of course I said yes! Any excuse to bake!

Here's my problem - this bride is very picky and hyper-critical. I am pretty comfortable that I can make a pretty cake, but I am stuck on flavors. My when in doubt go-to is WASC with Lemon curd and vanilla cream. But guess what she doesn't like?? So the lemon is out.

This does not need to be a really unique flavor combo, but a really good one. Can some of you please suggest a really good, popular flavor combo? Oh - and it's a surprise, so I can't just ask her...

Thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Ambar2 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 14

I would go simple, maybe chocolate ganache filling...if she's like that then make it easy on your self and go simple.

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 14

when in doubt, stick with the basics. if they were buying from teh bakery, what flavor would she be getting? Plain white? Okey dokey then!

jammjenks Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 14

Skip the lemon filling and just fill with bc.

CakeCrystals Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 14

bc would definately work. Don't stress out about it.

RedRoxx Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 14

Does she have a regular "drink" at the office? Is she a coffee or tea kind of person? Maybe do a mocha one or a vanilla chai if she drinks either of those.

kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 14

Ok she doesn't like the lemon filling. Have you thought of raspberry filling - and pair it w/choco b'cream - NOW you have a taste that is right up there on the top! icon_smile.gif

Another idea: butter pecan with apricot filling. Easy to make by adding 1/3 cup finely chopped/ground pecans to my *original* WASC vanilla cake along with a dash of butter flavoring in the batter. Or use Betty Crocker's butter pecan mix icon_smile.gif Filling: a good quality apricot jam OR the sleeved filling.
What are some of the other office people's favorite flavors/idea/suggestions?

luckyblueeye Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 14

I'm a total newbie, but this is what I did with my daughter's cake last week: I made the WASC cake, but used french vanilla coffee creamer/buttermilk mixture in stead of water. Then added a raspberry and BC filling. It was very, very good and moist!

BakerAnn Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 14

You can't go wrong with Indydebi's suggestion. Plain white with buttercream icing and filling would be exactly what I'd do.

gigiofknb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:11am
post #10 of 14

The filling I have the most compliments on is 1 small jar of strawberry jelly mixed with 1 small box of strawberry jello and spread between white cake. Very simple and very tasty. I have also done raspberry jello/jelly with chocolate cake.

m_willford Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #11 of 14

Mmm... I agree with the jam/jello filling. I've used it is a couple of cakes now and it's gotten rave reviews. It's the only fruit filling I actually like, I'm a little picky myself. You can mix it with a little buttercream and presto- fruit truffle filling!

Mom_of_one Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiofknb

The filling I have the most compliments on is 1 small jar of strawberry jelly mixed with 1 small box of strawberry jello and spread between white cake. Very simple and very tasty. I have also done raspberry jello/jelly with chocolate cake.

This sounds very interesting. Just to clarify...you prepare the jello first, yes?

JanH Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_one

Quote:

This sounds very interesting. Just to clarify...you prepare the jello first, yes?

Nope, just add the dry Jello to Polaner All-Fruit:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-85661-previous.html&sid=83a2b365dd79f9075052ae915333288e
(Scroll down to my 2nd post for link to recipe on WhatsCookingAmerica.)

HTH

Mom_of_one Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_one

Quote:

Nope, just add the dry Jello to Polaner All-Fruit:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-85661-previous.html&sid=83a2b365dd79f9075052ae915333288e
(Scroll down to my 2nd post for link to recipe on WhatsCookingAmerica.)

HTH

Thanks...I will!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%