Need Piping Bag 101

Decorating By szakacs Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 12:40am by FromScratchSF

szakacs Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I made a cake the other day and iced it in bc.
I put the icing in a piping bag and made little rosettes to cover the whole cake in.
Im guessing the heat from my hands was making the bc warm because the icing started to melt and wasnt looking good going on the cake.
does anyone have this problem or know what I am doing wrong.
I used 2 different recipes and got the same results.
I used a crusting bc and also this one

# 1/2 cup white Crisco shortening, softened
# 1/2 cup margarine, softened (can use butter)
# 4 -6 tablespoons 18% table cream (can use heavy cream, unwhipped or half and half cream or milk)
# 1 pinch salt
# 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
# 2 teaspoons vanilla (or can use 1 teaspoon almond extract)
# 5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted (or as needed)

Whenever I make a bc I usually frost the cake with a spatula and obviously dont have a problem.

I was ready to throw the cake out the window, maybe due to do pregnant hormones lol.

the cake in the end looked great to everyone that was at my daughters party, but it was a pita for me!!!!
please help.

thank you everyone!!!!

9 replies
Bluebelles Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 10

I have Hot Hands also, so I am anxious to see any suggestions.

Nusi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 10

why dont u just use crisco instead of the butter.. i know it wont taste as good but it will be much more stable. cause as u know crisco is not sensitive to heat like butter or margarine

cashley Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 10

I have hot hands too and I use a ice pack and lay my bag on it for a few minutes to keep it cool. I usually have 2 bags going in the summer because of the heat. I have also found that working with high ratio shortening helps a great deal.

Valkstar Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 10

This might sound silly but sometimes my hands get hot too when I'm working so I just run them under really cold water for a couple of minutes. It makes such a difference when piping or making pastry!

cakegrandma Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 10

There are 2 remedies for hot hands and your piping bags. The easiest is to run 2 bags, fill 2 bags and leave one sit while you are using the other. When you see that the icing is getting soft, stick it in the fridge and use the second one and keep repeating.
The second remedy is to purchase cotton covered bags or canvas ones. The cotton covered are as the names suggest, your lightweight bags that have been covered with cotton to add an extra layer of protection for hot hands. The bags that are canvas are just that, canvas bags. You can find them by typing "canvas piping bags" in google.

VCVCCupcakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by Nusi

why dont u just use crisco instead of the butter.. i know it wont taste as good but it will be much more stable. cause as u know crisco is not sensitive to heat like butter or margarine

When I have had to do this in the past I have found Butter Flavored Crisco! It tasted a bit better to me than the regular. I substituted that for the butter. It held up nicely adn kept a decent flavor.

szakacs Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I dont think I have "hot hands" though, as I am always the person to be freezing, so I dont know what I am doing wrong, If I dont use the recommended amount of powdered sugar do you think that would lead to runnier icing????

JulieMN Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:00am
post #9 of 10

What was the consistency of the icing you were using?

How much of the powdered sugar did you not put in?

Have you piped with these icings in the past (you only mentioned icing the cake with a spatula)?

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:40am
post #10 of 10

Everyone has "hot hands" when it comes to piping real buttercream. Melting point of butter is 90-95 degrees, normal body temperature is 98.6, so it doesn't matter how cold you feel, your hands will melt the butter in the buttercream. Shortening have a melting point of 117 so it will make piping easier - but your buttercream tastes <coughcough>gross<coughcough>. Sorry, just my opinion.

Anyway, here's my favorite you tube video demonstrating the all-new insta-fridge!

I do this, as well as have 2 bags going, when one starts getting too soft I pop it onto the insta-fridge and swap out for the other one, all from the comfort of my stool.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%