Nonedible Rhinestones On A Buttercream Cake

Decorating By sebrina Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 3:57pm by sweetmonkeycheese

sebrina Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 9

The only time I have ever put small inedible objects on any of my cakes was on my own daughter's (where I cut the cake & removed all of the stones before doing so). I have a real fear of someone choking! Ugh. But my friend is getting married this weekend & now she wants me to add rhinestones to her all butter cream cake! I don't have time to try to make edible jewels & I want to give her what she wants. icon_cry.gif Help! TIA!

8 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 9

Don't do it! Will you be the one to cut the cake? How would you know that the cake cutter would get every single one off of the cake? What if a kid (or curious adult) tries to sneak one from off the back of the cake and breaks a tooth or chokes? You would be held liable.

Bluebelles Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 9

What about ordering candy jewels online. Fancy Flours have them, although I've never ordered from them. Just pull up edible candy jewels on Google.

sebrina Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 9

Her wedding is Friday night so I really don't have time to order any or the budget to have them sent overnight. I was trying for think of a way to attach them to a skewer or something. Some way for them to scream - DON'T EAT ME! I won't even be at the wedding, I will be prepping for my daughter's prom. icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 9

I think this is one time you are going to have to put your foot down and show the professional you are by telling her it is not possible - explaining why. Does *she* want to be responsible for any possible lawsuits that might develope? If she still insists make her sign a paper explaining what you have outlined in that regard so you will be absolved of any responsibility.

imagenthatnj Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 9

Read this thread. Somewhere in there I put a few links of ways to dress a cake in bling (with wires, like jewelry for cake).

Maybe it will give you ideas.

mimi1218 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 9

can you use rock candy as a substitute? maybe paint some silver or sparkle color or disco dust on it to give it a more bling quality?

Just trying to macguyver a way to have bling and edible-ness.

sebrina Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 9

Ok, this is what I came up with. She like it & I think it looked like it belonged at her wedding. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help everyone!

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 9

good job! looks great

Quote by @%username% on %date%