Coconut Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By Eriset Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 2:03pm by Eriset

Eriset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eriset Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am expected to bring an Easter cake to my MIL's house on Saturday and I was planning on using fondant in order to decorate it the way I wanted. But I was told (well...extremely hinted to) that I shouldn't avoid coconut and butter cream in case I thought I should. Has anyone tried a coconut cake with butter cream filling with fondant? My concern is that the cake would be too soft for fondant. Please let me know your thoughts. Worse case is I'll scrap my fondant ideas and just decorate with butter cream and dyed coconut...

Thanks!

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure of the look you're going for, but when I need coconut cake to be decorated (not just dessert style) I use coconut extract added to my white cake recipe. You could always fold in some coconut to the batter too.

Just a suggestion...key lime filling and buttercream icing would be heavenly. I do that combo a lot, especially for cupcakes.

Eriset Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 6

I wanted to cover it in light blue fondant and add some flowers and a couple rabbit figurines with jelly beans as eggs. Nothing crazy, but I didn't know if it would ruin the fondant if coconut cream or anything like that was used. I'd say I'm an experienced beginner/intermediate fondant user.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 6

I wouldn't think so. What do you mean by "using coconut cream"? As an ingredient in the batter?

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 6

To make my coconut cake, I replace the water/milk with coconut milk from a can, and fold in some coconut, it makes a great cake and then it is sturdy enough for fondant. Chilling whatever cake you use will also help it firm up for fondant.

Eriset Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, I think I'll just try that idea with a cake I know will hold it up. Good idea. I've never made a coconut cake so I was unsure of the stability...not a big coconut fan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%