Fillings - No Refrigeration Needed

Decorating By chrisrich Updated 21 Apr 2005 , 4:09pm by riss_k

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 17

Hi. I've checked out the recipes pages for fillings, but they all seem to contain ingredients that need refrigeration.

Can someone recommend any fillings that do NOT require refrigeration? I'm making a cake this week with one chocolate tier and one white tier. So I'm looking for one or two good recipes.

Thanks, Christina

16 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 17

I, too, am stumped when it comes to non-refrigerated cake fillings. I use rolled fondant to decorate a lot of my cakes so I've been stuck with buttercream, as it is not a good idea to refrigerate a fondant-covered cake. I would love a few recipes for fillings that can be safely layered in a fondant-covered cake and left out--covered of course. Thanks!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 17

Can't help with the recipes but CK Products has many different flavor fillings in 2# sleeves and they don't need to be refridgerated! It's just an option!

chrisrich Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 17

CK Products?

What are these? Where can I find them?

chrisrich Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 17

CK Products?

What are these? Where can I find them?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 2:16am
post #6 of 17

The CK raspberry filling is absolutely to die for.

CK is a brand name and you can buy directly from them. Most cake supply stores carry their products.

http://www.ckproducts.com/

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 17

I have gone to the local supermarket and used their 3 different fillings in cakes and had no problem with them, they are in containers sitting on the shelf so I assumed that they didn't need refrigeration. I have used lemon, bavarian and banana filling.
This week on a white cake I did, I took some lemon filling and mixed with equal parts of vanilla buttercream icing and it tasted very yummy.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks to all!
My local baking supply store carries those CK fillings, but I was always afraid to try them since they look so strange in those huge plastic tubes! But if Dawn says they are good, then I'll take her word for it.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

Thanks to all!
My local baking supply store carries those CK fillings, but I was always afraid to try them since they look so strange in those huge plastic tubes! But if Dawn says they are good, then I'll take her word for it.

LOL!!!! Now, wait a minute......

No really. I am so picky. I really like the raspberry. I don't care for chocolate anything, so I've never tried theirs. I've used their lemon and Bavarian. I've not tried them myself (again- yuck to me on anything with those flavors) but the people I have served them to really liked them. I've used their strawberry and it was good. A hint sweet, so use it thinly. But it was good.

BTW, you will be advised to not keep them more than a week or so after opening. I store them in the fridge with a twist tie. They have lasted weeks. In fact, I have some raspberry as we speak in the fridge. It's at least 2 months old. I just went and checked it and I haven't died or even gotten a little sick. If I suddenly stop posting... you'll know why! icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 27 Feb 2005 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 17

Once I open the container, I place in the fridge too, I don't buy huge tubes so I have enough to usually fill 2 cakes. I like miking them sometimes with buttercream icing as it takes away from the jelly feel and makes it so smooth and yummy. I do this for the strawberry for sure since as you said, it is very sweet. icon_biggrin.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 27 Feb 2005 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 17

I was wondering about mixing these fillings with buttercream. What's the ratio? 1 to 1? I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know. Thanks.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 27 Feb 2005 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 17

A one to one ratio works just fine but if you have less filling than icing on hand then any mix of the two really work just as well.

The question was raised about storing the left over filling once it has been opened. I just put it in a freezer bag and toss it in the freezer..it will keep a very long time without worry!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 17

I like the Lemon Filling recipe from the Wilton site. It doesn;t require refridgeration and holds up beautifully as will a lemon curd.
Hug Squirrelly Cakes

riss_k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riss_k Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 5:32pm
post #14 of 17

I use a pudding cup - any flavour, jam, pie fillings, sometimes I mix them with bc, sometimes not. Also used the creamer to flavour bc for fillings as well. Last cake I did was an almond butter pecan cake with raspberry-chocolate filling and almond butter bc. My hubby told me it's the best cake he's ever had, and around here I make lots of cakes. This one was gone in record time! Hope these ideas help! icon_smile.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 17

riss_k, is it possible for you to email me the raspberry-chocolate filling that you used. I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 17

I like seedless rasberry jam for both white and chocolate

Also Apricot preserves is wonderful with white cake I do pick out the chunks of fruit.

riss_k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riss_k Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:09pm
post #17 of 17

tanyascakes:

I used 1 pudding cup in chocolate fudge and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of raspberry jam mixed together. I did the dam around the outside in the almond butter icing, then just filled it in! I've done this for lots of cakes - mix a vanilla pudding with strawberry jam, or use a pie filling. My daughter loves my black forest style cakes with devils food cake, chocolate fudge pudding and cherry pie filling with almond icing. There are so many options out there, too many to list! I just experiment as I go. So far so good... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%