Sylvetteg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sylvetteg Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 8

which is best? gumpaste or fondant for figurines. Thanks

7 replies
MPH32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MPH32 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 8

I have tried both. The fondant did not hold it's shape well. The gumpaste works but dries quickly so work fast. You may want to consider 'modeling chocolate' (AKA candy clay) as that seems to work the best. Holds it's shape and can easy be manipulated in to different shapes. Modeling chocolate is super easy to make with chocolate and corn syrup.
Ingredients
  14 oz. Package of Candy / Chocolate Melts
  1/3 cup light corn syrup
Instructions
  Melt Candy Melts following package directions. Add corn syrup and stir to blend. Turn out mixture onto waxed paper and let set at room temperature to dry. Wrap well and store at room temperature until needed. Candy Clay handles best if hardened overnight.
  To Tint: Candy Clay may be tinted using Wilton Candy or Icing Color. Knead in color until well blended.
  To Use: Candy Clay will be very hard at the start; knead a small portion at a time until workable. If Candy Clay gets too soft, set aside at room temperature or refrigerate briefly. When rolling out Candy Clay, sprinkle work surface with cornstarch to prevent sticking; roll to approximately 1/8 in. thickness.
  To Store: Prepared Candy Clay will last for several weeks at room temperature in a well-sealed container.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:11am
post #3 of 8

Fondant works really well for me. I mix in about 1tsp of gum tragacanth powder per 500g fondant for extra strength (let it rest a few hours before using).

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:34am
post #4 of 8

A lot of people use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. Gumpaste is often too hard to work with and dries too fast, but a combination is workable and stays pliable for longer. I'm interested in experimenting with modeling chocolate, too. I've seen some wonderful things done with it, but I made some the other day that didn't turn out quite right. I've since gotten a better recipe, so I'm ready to try it again.

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:22am
post #5 of 8

We always use a 50/50 mixture of both. Works perfectly every time

Sylvetteg Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:57am
post #6 of 8

Thank you everybody for your input. I've tried with the fondant and found it cracked. I will try the 50/50 mix next time.

Sylvetteg Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:59am
post #7 of 8

Marianna, let me know how it turns out when you try it. I'd like to give it a try myself.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 8

Just fondant will sag. Just gumpaste and you have to work at break neck speed so it doesn't dry too fast and crack. 50/50 definitely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%