Turkey Feather Accents

Decorating By Sarahdee2007 Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 2:23am by Sarahdee2007

Sarahdee2007 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 3

I want to make a turkey themed cake for my husbands birthday. I do not live close to any supply stores, so I was wondering if there is anything I can use that can be found at walmart? And the best technique to make them look realistic... Thanks icon_confused.gif

2 replies
milkmaid42 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 3

First of all, thank you for the comment on my turkey cake. By what date are you looking for the cake to be done? I live way out in the boonies of rural Missouri, and although there is a Walmart about 50 miles away, I have found little there I can use.

Your best bet is to mail order, if you have time. There are numerous cake decorating sites. The site for the shotgun shells is: www.earlenescakes.com
(I don't know if that site would be blocked, but just close the gaps). (Mod edited to provide working link).

The tail feathers I made from wafer paper, ordered on-line. I painted them with gel colors--diluted with vodka--which you can find at Walmart. (I mean the colors...vodka too! lol , although I prefer Americolor which I have to mail order).

To apply the midrib I soaked a couple of wooden skewers in water, blotted, then pressed the feathers against them until they adhered. Even though I used as dry a brush as I could when painting them, I had difficulty with the wafer paper trying to curl. If anyone has a tip for me there, I would love to hear it.

To achieve the iridescent effect for the body feathers, I used layers of different colored luster dusts, which I had previously ordered on-line. I do think they carry some limited colors at WalMart. Those feathers I made using rice based spring roll wrappers, sometimes available in the supermarket produce section. I cut them all with a small craft scissors.

I hope this gives you some direction to go.

Sarahdee2007 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:23am
post #3 of 3

Soooo helpful! His birthday is in two weeks, so I would have to order some things right away, which I need to do anyways! I live in a little town in Missouri too (small world!) I have several cakes to make this month so I may break in and take the two hour drive to Lee Summit.. Anyways, Thanks so much! And if I end up getting it done, I will post pictures here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%