Fondant Or Gumpaste For Bows?

Decorating By Tinarie Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm by sadie514

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 13

Hello. I have searched several sites for making a bow. I am unsure on what to use fondant or gumpaste? I would rather use fondant because it seems easier but would love you feedback on this. I have never made a bow and will be putting a lot of practice. I'm making a minni mouse cake for my friends birthday in July and found a great one on here. I just need a bow without the hanging ties. Thanks.

12 replies
JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 13

I normally use an equal mix of fondant and gumpaste that way the loops on the bow hold their shape. With just fondant it doesn't get stiff enough to keep it's shape.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 13

I would go with gum paste for bows simply because fondant does not seemt o harden as well for me and you don't want the bow to droop once you put it on the cake.

JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 13

Also, make sure when you make the loops to stuff them with something until they dry. I usually use paper towels.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 13

I used to be scared of gum paste, and once I jumped in, I fell in love! I would say either 50/50 gum paste and fondant or all gum paste. I just did a Tiffany box cake this weekend (it's in my photos) and that bow and ribbon was 50/50. I think it came out great. Hope that helps!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 13

I have done flowers and bows using marshmallow fondant. I just ADD a little gum tex to it. Mine dry hard and do not droop. I have not had any problems with it and I like the idea of not having to make a separate batch of something else (cuts down on work for me).

HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 13

I always use gumpaste for bows. It is hot and humid in the Summer where I live, just like where you are. I haven't had any problems using gumpaste for bow loops. I use Nick Lodge's recipe and dry the loops over a wooden dowel for a couple of days. It works best for me!

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 13

You should use a 50/50 blend. It gets hard enough to hold it's shape, but if you need to trim the tips it won't shatter. Sometimes you do have to trim the tips to make the loops fit in the centre, so straight gumpaste wont work well. I teach this stuff, and my students bows come out great!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 13

I also go with 50-50 usually on my bows, though sometimes I have done all gumpaste.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 13

Every bow I've ever done, no matter what style, has been with 100% fondant. Mine harden and do not droop.

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:50am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinarie

Hello. I have searched several sites for making a bow. I am unsure on what to use fondant or gumpaste? I would rather use fondant because it seems easier but would love you feedback on this. I have never made a bow and will be putting a lot of practice. I'm making a minni mouse cake for my friends birthday in July and found a great one on here. I just need a bow without the hanging ties. Thanks.

Use fondant! I used fondant and it turned out really good.It takes a little bit of time to make but when they are finished they are nice and everyone loves them lol. The big bow that i made the fondant color was purple and it looks very nice.... I love fondant bows, they are easy to make but time consuming

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:13am
post #12 of 13

[quote="amcakemaker2011"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinarie

Use fondant! I used fondant and it turned out really good.It takes a little bit of time to make but when they are finished they are nice and everyone loves them lol. The big bow that i made the fondant color was purple and it looks very nice.... I love fondant bows, they are easy to make but time consuming. I forgot to also say that i mix the fondant and gumpaste together to make my big bows

sadie514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadie514 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 13

I always use gumpaste. The loops dry overnight and I don't have to worry about them melting or drooping. Humidity will effect fondant more than gumpaste...you certainly can make bows with fondant, if you have the time (takes much longer to dry completely) and you live in a low humidity climate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%