All Buttercream Cake + Texas Heat = Not. Good.

Baking By TracyFace Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm by Kaybaby

TracyFace  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyFace Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 5

This last weekend I delivered a groom's cake that was done in all buttercream... and it was melting!! I got it fixed, but was so frustrated & embarrassed... thank goodness it was for a friend!! Now, this weekend, I have another all buttercream cake to deliver to an outdoor birthday party, and I'm afraid it's just gonna melt all over the place!!

My question is this: Is there any way to help buttercream stand up a little better to heat? I don't particularly like buttercream that contains shortening, but I'll use it if I have to!! Any recipe suggestions? ANY advice will be helpful!! TIA

4 replies
 indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

Butter has a lower melting point than shortening which is why shortening icing holds up better in an outdoor environment.

Here's my recipe which crusts well and has survived 90 degree Indiana heat-n-humidity: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

and here's a story of a CCer's outdoor test with the icing: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6873024.html#6873024

If you like the the taste of butter icing, many CCers have added butter flavored oil and/or used half-n-half (butter-n-crisco).

Jody130  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 5

I started using Indydebi buttercream a few months ago, and have gotten rave reviews, it taste awesome, and holds up great in the heat!
Cant beat it!

caymancake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 5

I live in the Cayman Islands and it's pretty hot here...70s and 80s in the "winter" and 90s and 100s in the summer. I use half shortening, half butter for my buttercream cakes and it stands up well to the heat here! I do use more flavoring though...about 1 1/2 tbsp-2 tbsp per batch (i make my own combining 4 different flavours into one bottle) which makes it so delish. My customers can go to an event taste the icing and call me to say did you do x person's cake? I can tell because I know the taste of your icing anywhere! Hope that helps!

I haven't tried indydebi's bc but I'm going to try it over Easter. From all if the reviews I hear it is so yummy!

Kaybaby  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

I use indydebi's recipe and it has held up through 100+ degree HOT west Texas heat.

Vonda

PS It's the only one I trust!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%