All Buttercream Cake + Texas Heat = Not. Good.

Baking By TracyFace Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm by Kaybaby

TracyFace Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 5

This last weekend I delivered a groom's cake that was done in all buttercream... and it was melting!! I got it fixed, but was so frustrated & embarrassed... thank goodness it was for a friend!! Now, this weekend, I have another all buttercream cake to deliver to an outdoor birthday party, and I'm afraid it's just gonna melt all over the place!!

My question is this: Is there any way to help buttercream stand up a little better to heat? I don't particularly like buttercream that contains shortening, but I'll use it if I have to!! Any recipe suggestions? ANY advice will be helpful!! TIA

4 replies
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

Butter has a lower melting point than shortening which is why shortening icing holds up better in an outdoor environment.

Here's my recipe which crusts well and has survived 90 degree Indiana heat-n-humidity: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

and here's a story of a CCer's outdoor test with the icing: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6873024.html#6873024

If you like the the taste of butter icing, many CCers have added butter flavored oil and/or used half-n-half (butter-n-crisco).

Jody130 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 5

I started using Indydebi buttercream a few months ago, and have gotten rave reviews, it taste awesome, and holds up great in the heat!
Cant beat it!

caymancake Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 5

I live in the Cayman Islands and it's pretty hot here...70s and 80s in the "winter" and 90s and 100s in the summer. I use half shortening, half butter for my buttercream cakes and it stands up well to the heat here! I do use more flavoring though...about 1 1/2 tbsp-2 tbsp per batch (i make my own combining 4 different flavours into one bottle) which makes it so delish. My customers can go to an event taste the icing and call me to say did you do x person's cake? I can tell because I know the taste of your icing anywhere! Hope that helps!

I haven't tried indydebi's bc but I'm going to try it over Easter. From all if the reviews I hear it is so yummy!

Kaybaby Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

I use indydebi's recipe and it has held up through 100+ degree HOT west Texas heat.

Vonda

PS It's the only one I trust!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%