Do I, Do The Cupcakes?

Decorating By QuadCities Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 10:48pm by QuadCities

QuadCities Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuadCities Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 8

This gal called wanting to know if I would make a 3tier & 150cupcakes for her wedding in November .. I told her I could why don't we meet an talk it over .. Okay, now I work part-time an do baking the other half time out of my home .. We meet, they told me that they talked to a lot of bakery's and they were super high etc. .. They didn't want to pay the overhead blah,blah .. So that is why they came to me .. Because I would be CHEAPER, I work out of my home .. That did not make me a happy gal with that statement .. But I kept the SMILE icon_smile.gif ..grrrrr.. We got everything talked over she was coming over today to tell me for sure what they wanted .. meaning a 3 or 4tier & cupcakes .. WELL, I got an email this morning stating they went to a bakery she gets her son's birthday cake at and they are getting the tier cake there and wanted to know if I would make the cupcakes because again I would be CHEAPER then the bakery ... Not sure what to do here .. I need other's in-put ..

Thanks, Emma

7 replies
WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 8

I'm a little confused by your story, but if I'm reading correctly - they still want you to do the cupcakes and not the cake because you are cheaper for the cupcakes?

I would tell them you were only giving them a break on the cupcakes because you would have also been doing the cake - and then raise the price for the cupcakes. I would also explain to them that your prices are similar to a bakery's because while you do not have the overhead they do, you have higher ingredient and production costs because you do not buy or bake in bulk - and so it all evens out.

I hate it when people assume that just because you don't have a storefront you should be cheaper.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

Excatly what WykdGud said.....Tell her that you have no idea where she got the assumption you would be cheaper but here is my prices for XX amount of cupcakes..Take it or leave it!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 8

Naw........ I don't allow people to split up and order like that....... it is all or nothing..... if that other cake tastes yuky, guess who will get the "credit" ?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 8

Ditto to what grama_J says... thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 8

ditto all of the above. It's all or nothing.

QuadCities Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 8

Thank You .. Thank You!!

Sorry if I confused everyone .. I was wondering if I would .. I was up-set .. I should of waited ..

Okay .. this is what I was thinking ALL OR NOTHING .. YES!!! what if the tier cake doesn't taste right .. I would get the rap because I don't have a store front business .. Plus, I would think the bride would want everything to be looking as a set .. Not theirs & mine ...

Again, Thanks Everyone for Your In-put ..

QuadCities Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

I'm a little confused by your story, but if I'm reading correctly - they still want you to do the cupcakes and not the cake because you are cheaper for the cupcakes?

I would tell them you were only giving them a break on the cupcakes because you would have also been doing the cake - and then raise the price for the cupcakes. I would also explain to them that your prices are similar to a bakery's because while you do not have the overhead they do, you have higher ingredient and production costs because you do not buy or bake in bulk - and so it all evens out.

I hate it when people assume that just because you don't have a storefront you should be cheaper.

Yes, this is what they want .. me to do the cupcakes and the bakery is doing the tier cake ... Sorry for confusing you .. But, you got it right .. Emma

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%