Funky Letter Tappits - A How To?

Decorating By Bri83 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 4:08am by cakeladyatLA

Bri83 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 9

I just purchased the tappit upper case letter set from gsa. I was so excited to try it out, so far some letters came out beautifully , while others ripped at the very ends....

i read the instructions to roll the gumpaste very thin and then just move it back and forth, it seemed to stick a lot when i moved it and then i tried to remove, and it distorted the letter some how.....

any tricks or suggestions, should i place in the refridge first for a couple of min??

icon_smile.gif

8 replies
MadMillie Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 9

Some people put plastic wrap over the gum paste before putting the tappit down, that way the gum paste doesn't get stuck inside. I think there is a video on Global Sugar Art on how to use them.

Sorelle Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

Some people put plastic wrap over the gum paste before putting the tappit down, that way the gum paste doesn't get stuck inside. I think there is a video on on how to use them.

This is a great tip, thanks!
I have used them successfully but they took forever! I was hoping they'd just redesign them.

Bluehue Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 9

After rolling your medium our thinly - let it sit for a few minutes to *air dry* that way the letters won't get stuck to the actual tappit.
If using them i just wait about 3 - 5 minutes.
Press down firmly - wriggle from side to side - then when you turn it over and *whack* on your bench top the letter will come out smoothly....and will keep its shape.

Yes, i know they are called *tappits* but i give them one almighty whack -
Allow to sit on bench for another minute and then lift with a very thin off set spatular or knife.
Works a treat. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

leasey Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:53am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

After rolling your medium our thinly - let it sit for a few minutes to *air dry* that way the letters won't get stuck to the actual tappit.
If using them i just wait about 3 - 5 minutes.
Press down firmly - wriggle from side to side - then when you turn it over and *whack* on your bench top the letter will come out smoothly....and will keep its shape.

Yes, i know they are called *tappits* but i give them one almighty whack -
Allow to sit on bench for another minute and then lift with a very thin off set spatular or knife.
Works a treat. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

This is exactly what I do too. Works great!

SugarKissesCakery Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:32am
post #6 of 9

I use fondant with tylose mixed in. I always roll my fondant very thin on the pasta machine and let it sit out to firm up a bit. My letters pop out every time. Letting the letters firm up even further before attaching them to the cake helps to prevent distortion as well.

BakingGirl Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #7 of 9

It also helps dusting the letter molds with cornstarch before you cut the letters, that way they pop out more easily. If any letters stick at the corners I coax them out using a toothpick.

DanaG21 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:02am
post #8 of 9

I tap mine against my small (Wilton) rolling pin - so there is space between the tappit and the counter. That way I don't tap on the letter when it pops out and I'm not paying attention! I love my tappits and I wish they made more!!!!

cakeladyatLA Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:08am
post #9 of 9

One day in class I was teaching how to make bows and pleats and such, I had made a very thin piece of 50/50 gumpaste/fondant and I forgot to put it back inside the plastic, after a few mins (like 15) i had a bunch of dry pieces of 50/50, I was going to throw it away but I had my tappits right there in the counter and went for it, it worked like magic, one tap and they were out! now I let them dry for a while before using them.

Patty

(they say the best recipes where done by mistakes in the kitchen)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%