What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 11:34am by ezkate

yamber82 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 8

i have rpeviously always used wilton pans but i got some (forgot the brand) but they are soooo much nicer. they are also tal enough that i don't have to bake 2 or 3 times for each tier. so i have used the square 10" one quite often and never had problems but i just did a cake with the 10"round and the center never did get done all the way. it was still kinda gooey. i'm baking for another cake this weekend with the square ones, 10" and 8" and i just can't seem to get the center totally done while the top is burning. my 10" one caved in on the top. which was ok because i cut that off but i'm not expereinced with this.

also, i took the 10" out of the pan to torte. the middle was just barely done and the edges were overdone. they were really super hard. i wasn't sure if that's normal but i def thought it would be gross so i shaved the edges all the way around.

what am i doing wrong?

7 replies
tootie0809 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 8

Try using a heating core or a flower nail in the middle of the cake pan before you bake. I prefer flower nails (what you use to pipe buttercream flowers/roses with). I fill my pans with the batter as normal, then I spray the flower nail with some Baker's Joy, then turn it upside down and and stick it into the middle of the pan, then bake. It really does work and helps the cake bake more evenly. Good luck!

Sam_paggers Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 8

I am posting to watch this thread, my round cakes bake fine but I also have issues getting a square cake to cook equally throughout (I do use a heating core).....

CWR41 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 8
Originally Posted by yamber82

they are also tal enough that i don't have to bake 2 or 3 times for each tier.

It sounds like you are using 3" tall pans. If it isn't working for you, there's nothing wrong with baking two 2" tall layers... you might want to go back to your 2" tall pans, or just bake 2" tall layers with your new pans.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 8

Heating core always works for me, and we use the 3" Fat Daddio pans

KathysCC Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 8

You also might need to lower your oven temperature and bake the cakes longer. I do this for larger pans.

craise79 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

I use 3in pans and bake at 325 and I never have a problem, maybe try lowering your oven temp

ezkate Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:34am
post #8 of 8

make sure you line your cake properly and cover your cake! i always cut out the shape in baking paper put it on top of the cake once the batter is in and wrap in foil making sure all the sides are covered (i even put a heavy tray on top to keep cake level!) this helps isulate the cake for a little more even cooking, try lowering temperature, not over beating your batter and maybe even the rack that the cake sits on in the oven, some places are better than others for even heat. its all about trial and error but once you have got it you have got it. dont check on your cake until 2/3 way through baking and this can cause the cake to sink. its a pain i know as i have been there done that and sometimes still do! you are not alone

Quote by @%username% on %date%