Fil, Easter Birthday, In Hospital. Cake Ideas Please

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:19pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

jennbrownrigg Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 8

My father in law suffered a stroke nearly 3 months ago and has been in the hospital since. He has a weekend pass out of the hospital for next weekend which is his birthday & easter. I have no idea what kind of design to do for his cake. He is an old car lover, a great carpenter and in general a mr. fix it. but I know he's been having a hard time wondering if he'll be able to drive again etc. etc. due to the stroke and even asked that the pictures my kids drew for him (of him in his old classic car) be removed from his hospital room because it was too much of a reminder.
Should I just do a spring/easter cake?? Help please!!!

7 replies
Jennifer353 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 8

I would go with a happy positive type theme. As you said Spring and Easter, they could be really bright and cheerful. Maybe have models of him with his family around him and focus on things that he has now, especially if he can do something now he couldnt do right after his stroke, eg walking? Sorry to not be much help.

dldbrou Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 8

What about blending the two together? Maybe have a bunny wearing a workbelt, sitting at a workbench fixing a cracked egg, or a bunny bending over the hood of a bunny car, pulling out easter grass.

grama_j Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 8

HUmmmm. sounds like anything "themed" might upset him, ( not knowing what his limitations might be) I think I would be VERY generic and just do Spring flowers or something like that.......

cakesrock Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:45am
post #5 of 8

I would stick with something generic - maybe a cadbury easter egg. Not to flowery or feminine colors:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1202595
I have also seen one where the egg is cut open and you can see the yellow and white filling - very cute!

I hope he has a successful recovery...

MrsMoe07 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:56am
post #6 of 8

I like the springy family theme cake.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 8

He needs to laugh and smile and forget for a short time his problems. Maybe do something funny. There are some funny cakes in the gallery of a hatching egg with the chick's legs poking out.

I hope your father-in-law recovers quickly.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 8

http://CakeCentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-713393.html

If you go to this link and look at the third message, there are some links to a few funny cakes.

Oh, and another positive thing about bringing a funny cake is that it is going to be so much more memorable to the staff. They will all ooh and aah over the cake and will chat more with your father-in-law. If you take a photo of the cake before you go and bring him a print-out, he will have something to show to all the staff when they come in to do whatever. He'll have more visitors in a way and that will help to make the day go more quickly. It's nice to have something to talk about other than being sick. (my mom is in the hospital often, there right now, that's why I am suggesting this.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%