Cupcake Food Labelling

Business By babytel Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm by Scubabe

babytel Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 15

I am new to the forum!
Today is my first day as a cupcake company owner! I have had all of my checks, been registered and am now ready to bake icon_biggrin.gif
I have been baking for friends for a while now and interest has been phenominal so I have bitten the bullet and set up a fledgling business!
I wondered if anyone could help me with one thing I am struggling with, Food Labelling.
Does anyone know how I should be labelling my cakes? If I should lol, or does anyone know of any websites which could help me with the labelling of the cakes.
Thanks in advance for any help! thumbs_up.gif

14 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 15

Didn't your health department tell you if you need to do that? If you aren't sure, they are probably the first ones to contact and ask what is required.

As for the actual labeling, I think there were some discussions in the past about websites that help with labeling. I'll see if I can find it.

babytel Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 15

No, the lady that visited didn't mention labelling and I only remembered once she had Left!
Thanks for your reply and help icon_smile.gif
Oh and I think I should have mentioned that I am based in the UK icon_smile.gif x

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 15

Here are some topics for you to read to get more info. There are a ton more, so do a search (use google advanced search and in the domain name, put

This one is mainly about Indiana, but there is a lot of good info in it.

This one is about food coloring.

This one is about wedding cakes, but you may do cupcake towers for a wedding or large event.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 15

Didn't see that you arin the UK until after I posted.

Scubabe Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 15

Since you're in the UK, you can find everything you need to know at the Food Standards Agency website

I'll even go one step further, and hint that perhaps you might find the answer in the "Starting Up" brochure, but I do urge you to read everything on the FSA website as you're now a business owner and you need to know the law.

Good luck in your new business.

babytel Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you so much for your help!! I'll take a look now!

Scubabe Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 10:45am
post #8 of 15

Did you find the answer you were looking for?

babytel Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 15

I tried ringing the Trading standards office here, no answer so I have emailed them now icon_smile.gif
I'll let you know when I hear back, thanks again for your help thumbs_up.gif

Scubabe Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 15

You don't need to ring Trading Standards!! It is the FSA which governs food labelling. And the answer is in the leaflet I posted about earlier. I'm not going to give you the page number because you should be able to find it out on your own but the answer is CLEARLY written in that brochure.

babytel Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 15

Sorry my mistake I meant FSA! There was something on tv about Trading standards as I was typing my reply! Sorry!! x

babytel Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 15

I did already have the starting up booklet, and understand that I don't need to label the cakes as far as ingredients are concerned, I just email FSA to see what their recommendations were as per food allergy labelling as my cakes contain eggs, gluten etc and may contain traces if nuts.
Just for my own peace of mind really
t x

Scubabe Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:55pm
post #13 of 15

The answer to that can also be found on the FSA website icon_smile.gif

babytel Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:07pm
post #14 of 15

Great! Sorted thank you.
I don't need to label my cakes as per ingredients or allergies but I need to have a list of ingredients used.
Aaah that's sorted icon_biggrin.gif

Scubabe Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #15 of 15

Perfect! I am so pleased you were able to work it out.
Good luck with the business!

Quote by @%username% on %date%