Attaching Fondant To Cardboard

Decorating By lakish Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 7:31pm by lakish

lakish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakish Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:03am
post #1 of 14

iam thinking of making a tangled tower for a friends daughters b'day next week. i was hoping to make the tower with a cardboard( i mean something like the paper towel roler). how do i attach the fondant to that. any help is greatly appreciated.

13 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 14

Royal icing or a stiff buttercream should work. Royal is probably a little stronger, so I'd go with that if you're going to be moving it around.

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 14

A little bit of piping gel painted onto the cardboard would work as well.

lakish Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 14

thank you.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 14

I've used gumpaste glue to attach fondant to cardboard, on my shoe box cake.

lakish Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 14

I don't know what gumpaste glue is. I wil probably look into it. thankyou.

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 14

Gumpaste Glue = Tylose + Water. It's also known as edible glue. It is very thin and watery, so I would be very careful putting that on cardboard (paper) because it could compromise the structure if it is too wet. I would stick with the icing or piping gel options.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 14

I use Wilton gumpaste mix with a little water added to it. I use this for all my cake glueing.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 14

I used jumbo size ice cream cones for my Tangled tower a few days ago (someone else's idea on this site) and it worked out very well. Added 4 dowels inside the bottom cone...no worries about collapsing. The only way I know to glue stuff together is with melted sugar (that's what I've used on gingerbread houses) so I that's how I got the dowels to stay in place...forever. I also glued the cones together the same way.
Since this was my 1st buttercream/fondant cake, I also didn't know how to get the fondant to stay in place. I left it extra long in both ends and then wrapped the ends inside the ice cream cones (since the cones were glued together back to back, it left the ends open). No problems, but now I know that I could have/should have used some buttercream for it.

lakish Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 14

'luckyblueeye' i liked the idea of using ice cream cones but couldn't find them anywhere. where did you get them?
thank you.[/quote]

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 14

WalMart, Smith's (Kroger)...I see them everywhere in my state. WalMart had them in the beginning of the bread isle, by peanut butter etc. I used Joy brand...just make sure it's the "jumbo cups" or "cake cups (even larger)" for your tower. I used regular Keebler sugar cones for the trees...those are usually at the end of the ice cream isle. Good luck icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 14

With my tangled tower, I used a styrofoam cone. I rubbed lighly with piping gel.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 14

I just use a bit of water.

lakish Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 14

thank you everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%