How Do You Keep Crusting Buttercream From Cracking?

Decorating By crushed Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm by countrycaker

crushed Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 10

Everytime I make a 1/2 sheet cake with a crusting buttercream, the "finish" cracks from the movement. How do I solve that problem?

I'm seriously thinking of taking 1/2 sheet cakes off my menu because they feel like such a huge hassle to me. thumbsdown.gif

9 replies
cakesrock Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #2 of 10

I have never had that problem. What BC do you use? I use Sugarshack's if I want a really good crusting BC. It has never cracked on me. I also follow her technique of heating up the spatula with a pot of boiling water, then drying it off before I smooth the cake. Then I wipe the excess icing off and back in the pot to heat up again... Maybe heat seals it or something. I live in a very dry climate too.

PTBUGZY1 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:47am
post #3 of 10

the only time my buttercream has cracked is if the board is not thick enough, maybe adding an extra board will help. HTH

poohsmomma Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #4 of 10

I think you need a thicker cake board. I use 1/2 inch foam board. Thin cardboard bends with the weight of the cake when you pick it up or move it. This causes cracks.

AngelaHudson Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #5 of 10

I have the same problem. I got my dad to cut me some plywood rectangles to support the cake for travel. I explain to the people that it will crack/wrinkle if they pick up just the cake board so to use the board to move it around until they are ready to serve it, then just slide it off. I put my name & ph# on the board so I get it back. I've never had a problem getting them returned.

cakesrock Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:27am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaHudson

I have the same problem. I got my dad to cut me some plywood rectangles to support the cake for travel. I explain to the people that it will crack/wrinkle if they pick up just the cake board so to use the board to move it around until they are ready to serve it, then just slide it off. I put my name & ph# on the board so I get it back. I've never had a problem getting them returned.

Okay, so if the weight is the problem and the bending is causing the problem, a cheap solution is to go to a craft store (Michaels here) and get some foam board. Even if you dont' get it back, it's not that expensive to replace. You can cut it with an electric knife. I tape the cake board to it with packing tape - never slides on me. And when I put it in my large plastic container to transport, I use that rubber non-slip stuff that goes under area rugs to keep it from sliding around.

indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:03am
post #7 of 10

For my half sheets (12x1icon_cool.gif, I always used 3 cardboards wrapped together. (no need to tape or glue them together .... the decorative foil holds them together.)

tamdan Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 10

Great tip on wrapping the 3 cakeboards together indydebi! I've never had a problem with my frosting cracking but I will always double or triple my cake boards from now on.

countrycaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 10

Adding a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the bc will sometimes help it to not crack. If the problem is not with the board that is. Don't worry - you can't taste the vinegar icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%