How Do You Keep Crusting Buttercream From Cracking?

Decorating By crushed Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm by countrycaker

crushed  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 10

Everytime I make a 1/2 sheet cake with a crusting buttercream, the "finish" cracks from the movement. How do I solve that problem?

I'm seriously thinking of taking 1/2 sheet cakes off my menu because they feel like such a huge hassle to me. thumbsdown.gif

9 replies
 cakesrock  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #2 of 10

I have never had that problem. What BC do you use? I use Sugarshack's if I want a really good crusting BC. It has never cracked on me. I also follow her technique of heating up the spatula with a pot of boiling water, then drying it off before I smooth the cake. Then I wipe the excess icing off and back in the pot to heat up again... Maybe heat seals it or something. I live in a very dry climate too.

PTBUGZY1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:47am
post #3 of 10

the only time my buttercream has cracked is if the board is not thick enough, maybe adding an extra board will help. HTH

poohsmomma  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #4 of 10

I think you need a thicker cake board. I use 1/2 inch foam board. Thin cardboard bends with the weight of the cake when you pick it up or move it. This causes cracks.

AngelaHudson  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaHudson Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #5 of 10

I have the same problem. I got my dad to cut me some plywood rectangles to support the cake for travel. I explain to the people that it will crack/wrinkle if they pick up just the cake board so to use the board to move it around until they are ready to serve it, then just slide it off. I put my name & ph# on the board so I get it back. I've never had a problem getting them returned.

cakesrock  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:27am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaHudson

I have the same problem. I got my dad to cut me some plywood rectangles to support the cake for travel. I explain to the people that it will crack/wrinkle if they pick up just the cake board so to use the board to move it around until they are ready to serve it, then just slide it off. I put my name & ph# on the board so I get it back. I've never had a problem getting them returned.

Okay, so if the weight is the problem and the bending is causing the problem, a cheap solution is to go to a craft store (Michaels here) and get some foam board. Even if you dont' get it back, it's not that expensive to replace. You can cut it with an electric knife. I tape the cake board to it with packing tape - never slides on me. And when I put it in my large plastic container to transport, I use that rubber non-slip stuff that goes under area rugs to keep it from sliding around.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:03am
post #7 of 10

For my half sheets (12x1icon_cool.gif, I always used 3 cardboards wrapped together. (no need to tape or glue them together .... the decorative foil holds them together.)

tamdan  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 10

Great tip on wrapping the 3 cakeboards together indydebi! I've never had a problem with my frosting cracking but I will always double or triple my cake boards from now on.

jammjenks  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
 countrycaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 10

Adding a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the bc will sometimes help it to not crack. If the problem is not with the board that is. Don't worry - you can't taste the vinegar icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%