Kid Cupcakes

Baking By Aleksandra-k Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 3:43pm by Aleksandra-k

Aleksandra-k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aleksandra-k Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:09am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a birthday with children and the birthday girl wants to decorate cupcakes. Any ideas for easy decorations, something simple but fun, and it can be messy. Also the kids will be about 10 years old.

5 replies
saphron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saphron Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:30am
post #2 of 6

hi my kids love make ladybird and bee cupcakes
and they only need to buttercream and cut out sugarpaste red, black and yellow and a bit of white hope this helps

stevieleannescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stevieleannescupcakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 7:35am
post #3 of 6

What about a princess theme cupcake? You could get some pink/purple sugar and glitter, you can also buy ring toppers too if you have a look online! icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 6

I think 10 may be too old for princesses.
Butterflies are popular, a fun type of flower, swirls, dots, stripes, bright colors, but not the kid primary colors (I've been informed by my 9-year old that primary colors are for little kids.) purple (not lavender), bright pink, lime green, and bright aqua blue are popular right now.

Make up some fun, colored frosting. You can teach the kids how to fill a piping bag, or you can have them pre-made. At age 10 though, they really are wanting to learn this stuff themselves, at least the girls we know. They are starting to get serious about learning new crafts. The mom could buy a featherweight piping bag and tip for each girl to use, then they can take it home as part of their party favor.

Next, teach them how to make a pretty frosting swirl. Teach them how to make something with fondant that they can add tho their cupcake. We did ribbon roses and small leaves last year for a tea party. They really liked making those and it is a fun, whimsical flower. A small animal or another kind of fun flower would also be a fun topper. Girls this age like dogs, cats, and horses.

Lastly, teach them how to make the cupcake look pretty with the topper and any other accents, like adding some sugar pearls.

You could also skip the piping and teach them how to cover the cupcake top completely with fondant, making the face of an animal, or a fun design with dots, stripes, or squiggles. Maybe a giant gerbera daisy in a bright color.

stevieleannescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stevieleannescupcakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

I think 10 may be too old for princesses.
Butterflies are popular, a fun type of flower, swirls, dots, stripes, bright colors, but not the kid primary colors (I've been informed by my 9-year old that primary colors are for little kids.) purple (not lavender), bright pink, lime green, and bright aqua blue are popular right now.

Make up some fun, colored frosting. You can teach the kids how to fill a piping bag, or you can have them pre-made. At age 10 though, they really are wanting to learn this stuff themselves, at least the girls we know. They are starting to get serious about learning new crafts. The mom could buy a featherweight piping bag and tip for each girl to use, then they can take it home as part of their party favor.

Next, teach them how to make a pretty frosting swirl. Teach them how to make something with fondant that they can add tho their cupcake. We did ribbon roses and small leaves last year for a tea party. They really liked making those and it is a fun, whimsical flower. A small animal or another kind of fun flower would also be a fun topper. Girls this age like dogs, cats, and horses.

Lastly, teach them how to make the cupcake look pretty with the topper and any other accents, like adding some sugar pearls.

You could also skip the piping and teach them how to cover the cupcake top completely with fondant, making the face of an animal, or a fun design with dots, stripes, or squiggles. Maybe a giant gerbera daisy in a bright color.

Some great advise there! icon_smile.gif

Aleksandra-k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aleksandra-k Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the great ideas icon_smile.gif, i think she is too old for princesses, but i was thinking something along those lines as well maybe even have them make decorations out of candy melts and use them as topppers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%