Making Cakes From Scratch

Baking By tonrob Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 1:27pm by tonrob

tonrob Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:55am
post #1 of 4

I have made a few cakes from scratch but the consistency is really dense. The cakes taste great but I just want to know if cakes made from scratch are suppose to be heavy. Box cakes seem to be moist and fluffy. I have used both cake flour and all purpose flour, and followed directions to a T. I have never tried homeade cakes before so I need some advice on whether or not my cakes are turning out alright.

3 replies
scp1127 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:34am
post #2 of 4

Some of my recipes are very dense...pound, red velvet, carrot. Some are as light as a feather. I use them for very different recipes. It just comes with trial and error. I would suggest purchasing cakes from an artisan bakery to get familiar with texture. Then you will know what you are looking for. But a scratch cake can be anything you want.

Don't assume you can't bake because you got a bad recipe. The majority of scratch recipes on the internet are not worth making. If you have a particular flavor and texture you want, ask us and we will steer you to a good recipe and help you through it.

JanH Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:20am
post #3 of 4

How do you measure your flour? Do you use the scoop and drag method, shaking to level...

If so, the traditional technique is to aerate the flour, then gently spoon it into the measuring cup using a knife drawn over the top to level.

Great site for learning baking techniques:

www.joyofbaking.com

HTH

tonrob Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for the advice. I went to joyofbaking.com and I do believe the flour problem is solved. I really appreciate the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%