Working At A Local Bakery; Good Or Bad Idea?

Decorating By SweetDreams Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 1:33am by Unlimited

SweetDreams Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:05am
post #1 of 2

Any opinions on working in a mom and pop bakery?

I have only made cakes from home (for 7 yrs now) and
there is a bakery right in our town who needs a part time cake decorator.

They want someone 2 days a week and would pay cash ($10 an hour). I asked if they have a time limit per cake but she said that they are more concerned with creativity than time on the cake (short answer is no, there is no time limit). I think they have got to expect me to work faster than I am used to at home and I am worried that I will be restricted to only buttercream designs as apposed to my usual buttercream with fondant accents and edible images.

Also, they are looking for 10am-5pm both days. I have kids at home (12yrs and 9 yrs) whom I homeschool as well. I can leave them from maybe 2-5pm but not all day.

They have had their help wanted sign in the window for over a month now so I am wondering if they might consider compromising on the time but I am not sure if I should even go in and ask.

Any thoughts or advice?

1 reply
Unlimited Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #2 of 2

Mom and Pop bakeries can be the worst, but you wouldn't find out unless you gave it a try! I always say, you'll never regret the experience you'll gain from working in a real bakery, but it might not be a good fit for you with the home-schooled children. It wouldn't hurt to ask if they could be flexible with only three-hour days (perhaps 4 or 5 days a week instead of 2 days), but don't be disappointed if they have their reasons for not being so flexible. I'm sure you'll find something for your children to do, if you want to do it bad enough.

It also wouldn't hurt to ask what kind of designs they do, or go in to check it out.

I wouldn't worry about feeling restricted to do their designs opposed to your usual designs... it's their store, you'll have to decorate what their customers want or do it their way, but the good thing is that you'll be widening your horizons by being open to learn new things.

Good luck with what you choose. Let us know if you check it out and apply for the position.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%