Left-Over Cake Batter

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm by tyty

sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 6

Can cake batter be frozen and used at a later date? I need to make small cakes, different flavors, and will have left-over batter. TIA

5 replies
jason_kraft Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't recommend it, freezing and thawing the batter will take out most of the air and probably result in a failed cake.

If you want to save the rest of the batter, bake it before you freeze it.

Corrie76 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 6

I use WASC recipes and freeze my left over batter all the time now. I used to just bake the left over batter into small cakes and whatnot but never really needed to use them and they used to hang out in my freezer for a few months and then get tossed out- such a waste!

Now I put the batter into gallon size freezer bags, push out any excess air in the bag and into the freezer they go. when I need to use that batter, I thaw out the bag in the refridgerator - usually takes 24 hrs to thaw- and it's good to go. The cake bakes a little different, the top looks more 'bubbley' when baked, but the cake itself has the same texture inside and flavor as if the batter were fresh, I haven't had a cake fail yet that's been made with frozen batter.

Of course, I haven't any idea if this works for 100% scratch recipes- alot of those depend on whipped in air to create their fluffiness and that could very well be lost in the freezing process...

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 6

freeze and it works great for cupcakes!!!

JanH Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 6

Refrigerating/Freezing Cake Batter:
(Includes link on the science of double acting baking powder.)

tyty Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 6

I've used frozen cake batter for cupcakes. It was frozen for about 3 weeks in a freezer bag. I thawed it in the fridge and then scooped it directly into baking cups and baked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%