Left-Over Cake Batter

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm by tyty

sandy1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 6

Can cake batter be frozen and used at a later date? I need to make small cakes, different flavors, and will have left-over batter. TIA

5 replies
 jason_kraft  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't recommend it, freezing and thawing the batter will take out most of the air and probably result in a failed cake.

If you want to save the rest of the batter, bake it before you freeze it.

Corrie76  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 6

I use WASC recipes and freeze my left over batter all the time now. I used to just bake the left over batter into small cakes and whatnot but never really needed to use them and they used to hang out in my freezer for a few months and then get tossed out- such a waste!

Now I put the batter into gallon size freezer bags, push out any excess air in the bag and into the freezer they go. when I need to use that batter, I thaw out the bag in the refridgerator - usually takes 24 hrs to thaw- and it's good to go. The cake bakes a little different, the top looks more 'bubbley' when baked, but the cake itself has the same texture inside and flavor as if the batter were fresh, I haven't had a cake fail yet that's been made with frozen batter.

Of course, I haven't any idea if this works for 100% scratch recipes- alot of those depend on whipped in air to create their fluffiness and that could very well be lost in the freezing process...

sweetmonkeycheese  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-714912.html

freeze and it works great for cupcakes!!!

JanH  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 6

Refrigerating/Freezing Cake Batter:
(Includes link on the science of double acting baking powder.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-706758-.html

HTH

tyty  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 6

I've used frozen cake batter for cupcakes. It was frozen for about 3 weeks in a freezer bag. I thawed it in the fridge and then scooped it directly into baking cups and baked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%