Cake Got Rained On!

Decorating By m_willford Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 3:15am by Kitagrl

m_willford Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 6

I was doing a fondant covered cake yesterday for my BIL's wedding. Got it covered and then needed a place to set it. My apartment is small with a tiny kitchen and the only place to set things where my 18 month old won't dig fingers in is my back patio. I set it up back there, it's in the shade and it was cool, for an hour while I grabbed the kids some lunch. It started sprinkling while we were at the drive-through window, but I didn't think anything of it.

After lunch I went to get the cake and put the flowers all over it, and the darn wind had blown the rain all over it!!!! There was literally no time to make another one and since it was just the cutting cake (they wanted to serve everyone cupcakes and those were on my dresser in my room- safe and sounds) I just blotted the water off it and stuck the flowers on anyway. I figured they could cut the backside, that hadn't gotten wet.

Did you know that if your fondant gets that wet, when it dries it is shiny? So half my cake was shiny and the other side wasn't. I brushed the whole thing with white pearl shimmer dust from Wilton that I bought for no reason except to have it, and voila! The cake now looks like the shiny satin of her dress!

For a paying customer serving the cake to 100 guests, I would have been in deep crap about that fondant. I would have peeled it off, re--iced the cake and made more fondant. I would have been behind schedule way bad, but it would have been something they could eat. But since it was just my BIL and the cutting cake and cupcakes were their wedding present, they just cut the back. icon_smile.gif Whew!!!!

But for now on, I'm going to be a lot more careful about the weather in regards to where I'm setting the cake... icon_redface.gif

5 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 6

When you're dealing with a plain fondant covered cake that has no deco on it, and it gets water on it, just brush LIGHTLY! with water over the rest of it to make it all match. There would be no reason to pull all the fondant off.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 6

If you do cakes on a regular basis I'd totally buy a cheap, $300 refrigerator (or even a clean secondhand one, basic with top freezer) and plug it in in ANY room of your house that it will fit. Add a lock, and use that to store your cakes.

BTW I love pearl dust, it does hide problems in case of emergency! haha.

Even scarier than the rain would have been bugs or dust on the porch... I love my refrigerators...they do not fit in my kitchen but they do work for storing my cakes!

m_willford Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:05am
post #4 of 6

Leah S, thanks for the tip!

Kitagirl, man oh man, do I wish I had room for a cake fridge. I can barely fit my dining room table as it is, and our big upright freezer is plugged into the outlet on the back patio. I would have placed it on my dresser but that was full of cupcakes. LOL.

Once my husband is all done with school and can afford to buy me a house, I have already said we're going to build one with an extra pantry for cake supplies and storage fridge, as well as double ovens on the wall. I want my counter at a custom height for decorating since I'm short. But until then I'll have to make do with what I can. Next time I absolutely have to put one out there it will be in a rubbermaid bucket with lid! But since it's getting warmer I may just start carting my stuff to Grandma's house so the kids are out of my hair and there are more counters.

m_willford Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 6

I did fine-tooth comb the cake before deciding to go ahead with it. Anything like a bug or dirt on it and I would have pitched the fondant, gone to the wedding, and then finished it at the church when I came back... icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:15am
post #6 of 6

I totally understand! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%