How Do I Get My Cake To Be 2 Inches High

Lounge By Krista512 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm by Kiddiekakes

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 3

i have been following the wilton guide to pan sizes and cups of batter and i can never get a 2 inch high cake. it is always an 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch high if i want it to be 2 inches i have to make nother batter to add 2 to 4 cups of batter. but this is expensive a=to do and waste the rest of the batter just to add half an inch.

example today i am making a sheet cake using the wilton 11 by 15 by 2 pan the wilton guide says to put 11 cups of batter to make one 2 inch cake. i put my entire double batch in the pan as my mixes make 6 cups each so it wa 12 and it is about an inch and a half tall. this is driving me nuts!!!!

2 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 3

I made a 6" square cake the other wknd - using the wilton batter guide - it called for 2 cups of batter per layer..
They first layer came out smaller then the pan - so I added a little more to the second layer (which came out right) - I could of used the entire cake mix to make it as high as I wanted.. so maybe we have to do a little doctoring and add a half of cup extra each time. Should do the trick!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 3

I never measure anything..Pour the batter into the pans until they are 2/3 full.If the cake rises above the pan I level it right out of the oven with a flat board cooling rack....Most of us cakers who have been doing this a really long time tend to know which mixes or recipes will yield a certain amount of batter for certain pans and just know to make enough or more...HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%