Please Help.. Stacking Wedding Cake ?

Decorating By KodiSnip Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 3:10pm by KodiSnip

KodiSnip Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 7

I really like the look of this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1294809

She used a styrofoam block in between the layers. do you think it would be possible to stack a 3 tier like this? Using regular dowels and using the styrofoam separators (wrapped in colored foil) with a long dowel down through the middle?

It would be a BC 3 tier rounds of 6/8/10. I would like to transport it assembled

What do you think?

6 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 7

I think I have seen some 3 tiered like that. I would attach the blocks with glue to the bottom of the cake board to make sure it doesn't slide, well in advance to give it time to dry. IF you are using strofoam make sure that the glue that you use is safe for it or else it will melt it or won't glue it at all. I'd also use 1 or 2 extra boards to make sure that the edges don't bow from the weight.

kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

That;s my cake icon_smile.gif
How far is it to be transported? What is the drive like? potholes? tight curves? city driving?

Yes, it should be possible to do what you want.
Make sure your base board is extra sturdy *and* big. For the 6,8,10 I'd use a 14" base board, either triple cake boards or get a cakedrum.
Also use extra dowels: in the 10" I'd say at least 5; in the 8" use 3 or 4. (Odd #s are best) Normally I only use 3 straws or even none to support a 6" round, but with the transporting you are doing go on the safe sideicon_smile.gif
cakeandpartygirl has a good suggestion about glueing the cake board to the styro. Since mine was a dummy display cake (b'cream iced styro tiers) I didn't have to worry about thaticon_smile.gif Elmer's white glue would be good OR even royal icing.

cakesnglass Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 7

Covered foamcore board is very sturdy,cut and iced as one unit with the cake. I inserted dowels into my foam (underneath) before I placed on the cake, makes it much more stable since the foam is so lightweight it controls movement during transport. Center dowel for sure! good luck, nice design.

KodiSnip Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly! I was making a big batch of BC and just now got to check my post

@kakeladi - I really like the design of the hanging flowers the best icon_smile.gif - since you see alot of stacked design on CC and I have only seen this one with hanging flowers.

As far as delivery conditions: the drive is mostly freeway, very flat. Its getting warm out here in the Southwest and warm is 95-100 degrees. but the venue is air conditioned.

I have a large board *14 inches* and I learned the dowelling from tonedna1 who puts 5 or more in her stacked masterpieces so I'm good with the stacking part. I was just unsure how to secure the styrofoam pieces which will be wrapped in foil.

I am not sure I understand about the foam core board though...

cakesnglass Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:57am
post #6 of 7

The foamcore board replaces cardboard cake boards that are used under each stacked cake. It will not flex and holds the weight of the tier especially when the tier will extend passed the styrofoam seperators. My 15 birthday cake in my pic's has a foam seperator, but I did apply the gumpaste appliques at the venue.

KodiSnip Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 7

I get it!!! I am so excited... icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks a million for the help... I can't wait to try out this on a wedding cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%