Bridezilla....what To Do?

Decorating By ramona_89 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 5:35am by cake_architect

ramona_89 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:45am
post #1 of 10

I've had a sneaking suspicion I've had the makings of a bridezilla on my hands for a while now. The wedding is next Friday, 6 days away, and she officially went bridezilla on me tonight. I won't go into the entire details because it would take so long, but I had a very nasty mother of the bride drama a couple months ago that took me a while to get over, and now I have another one I'm sure is going to turn out even worse than the previous one. I have no desire to do any business with this woman. If I could refund all of her money right now and be done with her, I would, but I fear that she would go psycho on me. I know that this will most likely end up with me working my tail off on a cake, her bitchin about it and making my life hell, and then having to end up refunding her all or part of the money just to appease the witch.

Has anyone cut a bride loose less than a week before her wedding? I know it would be a terrible thing to do, but I know I will end up wishing I'd never laid eyes on her once this is all over. How do I get through this? Help!

9 replies
Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:25am
post #2 of 10

for the sake of you reputation and business I do not think you can cut her loose this close in. There again you haven't really explained what she did, so I dunno some situations can warrant a refusal to do business. If you can suck it up and make it through for the sake of your own professionalism that would be the wisest path. Some of the Zillas (weren't brides, I've had worse luck with mamazilla's on monumental bday fact so much so that I almost run from doing kids cakes anymore!) anyway the Zillas I've had raved about me in the end. Of course when they came back for another cake in the future I was booked and couldn't take their order. I interview my clients as much as they interview me and if they seem like a zilla in the making I stay away from taking the order. Good luck. Wishing you strength and leather skin right now!

labmom Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:08am
post #3 of 10

good luck, we all hate them, and even worse when the mother is just as bad.
I don't think you can back out without the possiblity of being on peoples court
(lol). I also now interview the bride and her mom. Unfortunately I haven't learned the word no so I end up in the same position you find yourself.
Just take deep breaths and think of your big project as a few little projects so your not overwhelmed. Were all here with you.. knowing what your going through so your not alone.. Please keep us posted...

sandeeb Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:34am
post #4 of 10

I too have learned to spot the ''trouble makers'' when they come to order their cake and I don't take that order. I have learned to say NO for sanity sake. I'm sorry that you are caught in this place. Good luck.

dldbrou Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe you should just tell her that it is your intention to make her the cake of her dreams, but if she continues to stress you out that you will not be able to feel relaxed and confident about her cake and she will not get the cake of her dreams. She hired you because she put her trust in you and now she needs to let you do your job and if she can not let you do your job, then she needs to find someone else. Put it back on her shoulders whether or not she gets a perfect cake.

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 10
Originally Posted by sandeeb

I too have learned to spot the ''trouble makers'' when they come to order their cake and I don't take that order. I have learned to say NO for sanity sake. I'm sorry that you are caught in this place. Good luck.

I spotted a few over the years and their quote got "lost" in the cyber black hole. Unfortunately, we all have to suffer thru a few of these before we hone our skills enough to be able to spot them up front. icon_cry.gif

cheatize Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 10

Everything is in writing, correct? Take as few of her phone calls and such as possible (you don't want her think you've flaked on her, just that you are really busy caking). Make the cake exactly as it is written, get your payment ahead of time (make sure a check clears, so you should have final payment by now to allow time for that). Take pictures of all angles of the cake both where you create it and on site. Be professional, do your job, politely reject any changes (it's far too close to change anything), talk about it only to your customers), get the job done, and get outta there. Make sure all your i's are dotted, so to speak. If she complains, you have proof to back it up and she's "dead in the water" so to speak. After that it's the No Cake for You List for her.

ramona_89 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:48am
post #8 of 10

Hi everyone, I haven't been back on this site for a while and wasn't getting notifications on replies. I just barely am back on the site and see all your wonderful words of encouragement and wanted to give an update on what happened with that bridezilla a couple months ago. I ended up emailing after I'd cooled down a bit. I stayed firm in what my responsibility for the cake was and still let her know I wanted her to be completely happy with the situation so to let me know how to best handle it so we could both move forward. She ended up emaling me back that she was sorry she'd been snappy with me, blamed it on stress, yadda, yadda, yadda. I was still nervous and stressed all up until her wedding day, but she ended up being super happy with the cake and gave me a hug after I was done assembling it. It all turned out okay in the end, although even though she was a happy camper at the end of it, had I known what she was going to pull on me through the process of it, I wouldn't have ever taken her order to begin with. I took it as a learning experience and am fine tuning my "red flag" skills to identify possible trouble makers. Lesson learned!

Lcubed82 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:09am
post #9 of 10

Glad it all worked out!

cake_architect Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:35am
post #10 of 10

yay, i like happy endings! especially when a lesson was learned in the process icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%