Helpp ! New At This !

Decorating By jem2131 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 6:43am by jem2131

jem2131 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:13am
post #1 of 10

Hello all !

So I've been asked to do a baptism cake. I have a few questions. I tried attaching the photo that the client wants me to do but idk how to attach it to the forum. So if you can click on my pictures and click on the baptism cake I just upload so you can see what cake the client wants.
My first question is what size is this cake. It looks like an 8 inch but I'm not sure. How many servings does an 8 inch feed ?
Second question , how do I get that furry effect on the bear ?
3rd question, based by the picture it seems as they applied real pearls on the bottoms on the cake. How do I get the pearls to stick to the cake ?
And finally how much would you charge for this cake excluding ingredients and labor put in for the cake ?
Thank you all so much.

9 replies
cheatize Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:22am
post #2 of 10

Without ingredients or labor, my costs would be $13- the amount of overhead for each cake.

The size of the cake will depend on the number of servings needed. I don't know what size that particular is, but it looks easily adaptable to more or less servings, as needed. Wilton has serving charts on their site so you will know what size cake you need and will be able to match it to the number of servings needed.

I would make the fur using the grass tip.

blissfulbaker Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 10

I would use clear piping gel to attach the pearls. If you don't have that then use gum paste glue. That is made by letting a small amount of gum paste dissolve in about 2 T of water. But clear piping gel would be my first choice.

jem2131 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:35am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Without ingredients or labor, my costs would be $13- the amount of overhead for each cake.

The size of the cake will depend on the number of servings needed. I don't know what size that particular is, but it looks easily adaptable to more or less servings, as needed. Wilton has serving charts on their site so you will know what size cake you need and will be able to match it to the number of servings needed.

I would make the fur using the grass tip.




Thank you for that info. What do you mean $13- overhead for each cake ? Sorry I'm new at this. The cake will be for bet 25 to 30 people

jem2131 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:37am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

I would use clear piping gel to attach the pearls. If you don't have that then use gum paste glue. That is made by letting a small amount of gum paste dissolve in about 2 T of water. But clear piping gel would be my first choice.




Thank you soo much I didn't think of that !

jem2131 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:01am
post #6 of 10

Is 60 dollars for this cake a good price ? But that's not including the cost of ingredients or hours put into cake. What do u guys think ? Need help plSs

cheatize Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:26am
post #7 of 10

If you aren't including the cost of ingredients or time in the cost of the cake, what are you including?

Overhead: wear and tear on decorating and baking items, utility costs, cleaning supplies, etc.... I include all that and more in my overhead costs.

Coral3 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:47am
post #8 of 10

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

jem2131 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:40am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

If you aren't including the cost of ingredients or time in the cost of the cake, what are you including?

Overhead: wear and tear on decorating and baking items, utility costs, cleaning supplies, etc.... I include all that and more in my overhead costs.




Ok maybe I'm confusing myself. I charge $2.00 per serving so that's where I got 60 bucks for. 30 serving cake. I am going to charge for my labor and the ingredients but I was just wondering how much you guys charged per serving. That's why I had said without labor or ingredients included. I am sorry if I didn't make sense.

So how much would you charge if this was a cake you were asked to make ? Including your overheads.

jem2131 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:43am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.




Thank you so much for explaining that ! Good to know for next time !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%