Cost For Cake Testing

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 3:04am by kelleym

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:53am
post #1 of 2

I was wondering how some of you handle cake testing for brides to be? I've been asked if I would make several different flavored cupcakes with different fillings. She has not ordered a cake from me, she is requesting samples first. How much is a fair amount to charge for samples/cupcakes with fillings??? I don't want to make up several different batters and fillings and not be paid for my time or ingredients. TIA

1 reply
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 2

Most folks around here have a minimum order amount in order to provide a free tasting. In other words, she would have to be looking at purchasing 75 or 100 servings to get a complimentary tasting.

There is no one set way to conduct the tasting. Some people make a standard assortment of flavors available and don't fulfill special requests. Some people will let the customer/bride choose 3 flavors and fillings. Some charge an extra fee for special requests.

Depending on how many servings it is, I would probably invite her to purchase a sampler of your cupcakes if she wants to know how several flavors taste. Sometimes customers don't realize that custom cake artists aren't a shop, and we can't just pull one of each flavor out of the cooler and be ready to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%