Anyone Ever Used Dreamwhip?

Baking By KarisCakes Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 12:12am by JanH

KarisCakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 11

HI all,
I am trying to figure out a buttercream recipe that is less sweet, so it's not overpowering on cupcakes. Has anyone ever used Dreamwhip in your buttercream? Will it thicken it at all? Anyone have an idea how to thicken with out adding sugar?

10 replies
VentureSister Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #3 of 11

Try Indydebi's buttercream recipe. You can find it in the recipes. It uses the dreamwhip and it is awsome.

BrindysBackyard Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:03am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

Try Indydebi's buttercream recipe. You can find it in the recipes. It uses the dreamwhip and it is awsome.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

decoratingfool Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

The BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

KarisCakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:54am
post #6 of 11

I've seen the recipe you all are recommending, but what I want to know is, can Dream whip be used as a thickener?

JanH Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:14am
post #7 of 11

Dream Whip is used as a stabilizer (to replace the missing trans fat removed from Crisco).

Dream Whip isn't a thickener (at least not using the amount called for in indydebi's recipe), neither is meringue powder.

If you're looking for a less sweet icing, why not try some of the meringue buttercreams:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011626.html

Mock Bettercreme and variations:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-597074-.html

HTH

KarisCakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Dream Whip is used as a stabilizer (to replace the missing trans fat removed from Crisco).

Dream Whip isn't a thickener (at least not using the amount called for in indydebi's recipe), neither is meringue powder.

If you're looking for a less sweet icing, why not try some of the meringue buttercreams:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011626.html

Mock Bettercreme and variations:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-597074-.html

HTH

I'll check those out. Thanks so much for helping!

cakesbymindysue Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

I don't necessarily think it's used as a stabilizer. Indydebi has been making her buttercream with Dream Whip long before Crisco took out the trans fat. I believe she has said she's been making it like that for over 20 years from a recipe she was given by someone else. Crisco has only been free of trans fats for about 5 years or so.

PJ37 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 11

How long do the mock whipped cream icings (with the flour, milk and granulated sugar) hold up? Are they very stable? (Would the decorations last overnight? would they need to be refrigerated?)
Thanks!

JanH Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

Quote:

I don't necessarily think it's used as a stabilizer. Indydebi has been making her buttercream with Dream Whip long before Crisco took out the trans fat. I believe she has said she's been making it like that for over 20 years from a recipe she was given by someone else. Crisco has only been free of trans fats for about 5 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

Why wouldn't you use 1 1/3 hi ratio? Probably a dumb question? Wasn't the original recipe based on when Crisco had fat?

Hi ratio shortening can adsorb more sugar and liquid than regular shortening...therefore this recipe is better if you cut the amount by 1/3 when using hi ratio. There's more of a difference in hi ratio shortening than just the trans fat.

Yes..the original recipe was based on when Crisco had trans fat but this icing works perfectly with or without it. Indydebi has said that when everyone started complaining about the removal of trans fat in shortening she was surprised because she noticed no changes in her icing. The Dream Whip is the difference. It has hydrogenated vegetable oil (thanks Linda) thumbs_up.gif

Yes it crust beautifully.

When Crisco contained trans fat and the Dream Whip was added (the original recipe), it only added a bit more hydrogenated fat to the ingredients. So it wasn't really needed as a stabilizer.

Now that Crisco is trans fat free (new recipe), the addition of Dream Whip (hydrogenated fat) is noticeable as a stabilizer because it replaces some of the hydrogenated oil missing from the current Crisco formulation....

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%