Pa Home Based Business Question

Business By madicakes Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 3:10am by madicakes

madicakes Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 7

I would love to start a home-based business. PA allows it, but not with free-roaming pets in the house. My husband would never consider getting rid of the dog that he's had since before My question is this....could I convert a separate room in my home, with a door barring access by the dog, into a kitchen and it be legal? Any laws against converting a garage? I got on the Dept of Agriculture website but can't find anything! Thanks in advance. PS, I'm in Adams county if that makes a difference.

6 replies
scp1127 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 7

These are all issues to take up with the Dept of Ag or the health dept. If it is no, there are no exceptions. This would not be an issue if it is a separate, free-standing building.

madicakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 7

I called the Dept of Agriculture and left a message for the inspector that handles my area. She called me back and told me that as long as the pets are confined to another level of the home, or it the work area is closed off to the pets, that I can have pets in the home and operate a home-based bakery! Now I don't know where to start. I applied for approval through my township to use my home. I figured that was where I needed to start icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7

madicakes, that was the requirement in my area. I thought they would make me use the outside door for my personal entrance, but I can use the inside door. I'm glad it worked out.

yums Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 7

Do you know who you spoke to? I ask because we contacted the pa dept of Ag last year about a home bakery and they said no pets........ so after reading this I thought maybe they loosened the laws. So I called our inspector, which should be your too because we are both in region 6, and they told me absolutely not. This lady said no animals in the building at any time and forwarded me the paperwork again with the #1 requirement stating "No animals/pets are permitted in the home at any time". What the heck?!?! lol.

scp1127 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 7

I think what you all are running into are inspectors who are not fully knowledgeable. The best thing to do is to get the guidelines and study them yourself. It would be awful to invest in a kitchen only to find that it won't pass. The signed permission of an inspector is also not good enough. The law will prevail.

madicakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #7 of 7

When I called I got the secretary, who said she believed that I could if they were confined. I then spoke with the inspector, Gail, who told me that if the pet was 1) confined to a different level with no way of getting to the work area or 2) the work area was completely closed off, it was allowed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%