Garden Theme Cake - Filling And Flower Decorating Questions!

Decorating By vgereis Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 7:21pm by luckylibra

vgereis Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all!

Here i am... Back yet again to ask some advice! I am thinking of making a dark chocolate mud cake for my mom's bday but wanted to ask your opinions/advice...

Two questions really....

1) besides just regular bc icing... What flavor filling do you think would go well with the dark choc mud cake that wouldn't end up being overly sweet or make the cake even more rich than it already is! If you have any recipes that would be great too!

2) the cake will be garden theme and am wanting to practice tomorrow with making some flowers that will be in a pot on top of the cake... Do you think it's best to do these in bc? Or royal icing ahead of time? And whats best way to "arrange" them in the pot so they look somewhat natural? Oh and does anyone have any tips for making a little lawnmower out of fondant? Any and all tips welcome!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Vicky

9 replies
Unlimited Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 10

2) What type of flowers are you planning to make? Some flowers would be easiest to make with BC or fondant, some flowers would look best made with RI or gumpaste, and other flowers can only be made easily with gumpaste.

cathyscakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:02am
post #3 of 10

I would definitely do a mousse type filling. I do this alot with a rich chocolate cake. I usually put a layer of fudge or ganache and cookies and cream mousse filling. Have you seen the cute flower pot cakes, I have been itching to do one, they are so cute. Cake looks like a clay pot, with gumpaste african violets, and pretty bow, I wish I had the link, but I'm sure you would see it if you google flower pot cake.

luckylibra Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 10

I agree with the others, it depends on the flowers you want to do. Here is a lawnmower I did.. it is just a simple one out of fondant and gum paste so I am sure you will get some great examples from the pros.. but I thought I would share.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1860500/1860505

luckylibra Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:35am
post #5 of 10

This one is not mine, but it is one of my favorites!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/998403
You could ask jamjentyler for tips

vgereis Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone for your replies! I asked my sister what flowers she thought my mom loved most... and besides orchids (not sure I can attempt those just yet! lol) she said perhaps lily of the valley? also looks daunting but have seen a couple of tutorials that make it look somewhat ok using fondant... my only problem is that I don't have small cutters.. so might have to try to improvise on the cutting of the flowers/leaves! eek! lol!

cathyscakes.... Do you have a good recipe for the mousse filling you mentioned? Would love to try that... sounds yum!! (hope I can find all the ingredients here in Paris!!)

luckylibra.... that cake you did is just so cute!! how did you do that lawnmower? what was the handlebar bit made of and how did you manage to make it "stand up" like that? And that second link for the pot... wowww... loveee the color of the pot! wonder how he/she managed to get it that color! any ideas?

If anyone else has any ideas/tips... I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Vicky

AKS Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 10

If you don't have the small cutters, roll the gumpaste into a pea-sized ball. Take a thin floral wire and bend a tiny hook at the top of the wire. Brush with a tiny bit of egg white. Mold the ball around the hook. Using small scissors (like cuticle scissors), cut an "X" at the top of the ball. Separate the sections and bend them down, pinching each one into a thin petal. Wrap stem with floral tape, adding flowers continuously, to make a bunch of flowers on a stem.
HTH.

Unlimited Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgereis

... and besides orchids (not sure I can attempt those just yet! lol) she said perhaps lily of the valley?

Lily of the valleyvery simple and easy to pipe directly on the cake with BC.

Orchidswould look best made with gumpaste.

(Have fun!)

cathyscakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 10

Hi Vicky, I think the easiest way to make a filling is to whip some whipped cream, and add a box of instant pudding, cream cheese, oreo's,chopped up candy bars, mini choc chips, so many choices, just fold it in.. Its really good with a layer of ganache too.

luckylibra Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgereis

luckylibra.... that cake you did is just so cute!! how did you do that lawnmower? what was the handlebar bit made of and how did you manage to make it "stand up" like that?

Thanks, the lawmower is just kind of hand molded to what I thought looked good. The handle was gum paste rolled thin and then I freehand cut it and let it dry hard, cut a slit in the mower part and used black candy melts to hold it in place

Have fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%