Cheap Alternative To The Cricut

Decorating By Normita Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 11:37pm by tiggy2

Normita Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 16

I would love to buy the cricut but simply cannot afford it right now. What is a good cheap alternative?

I have seen the personal electric cutter...will that work?

Thanks

15 replies
Shumab02 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 16

I'm not sure about a cheap alternative but I got my cricut personal cutter on ebay for $40 which included the shipping.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 16

Even if you get a cheap machine you'll spend a fortune on the cartridges. You're better off getting a silhouette or some other machine and using MTC or SCAL software and not purchasing high priced cartridges.

Normita Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumab02

I'm not sure about a cheap alternative but I got my personal cutter on ebay for $40 which included the shipping.

That sounds totally reasonable!! What can and cant you do with the personal cutter? Do you have to buy cartridges?

Normita Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Even if you get a cheap machine you'll spend a fortune on the cartridges. You're better off getting a silhouette or some other machine and using MTC or SCAL software and not purchasing high priced cartridges.

Thanks Tiggy...im going to look into the silhouette. I really dont want to spend a fortune on these things!! Can you tell me more about the MTC or SCAL software?

tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 16

If you want to use a cricut you have to have cartridges. They sued the software companies and they can no longer support the cricut.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 16

If you're going to get the silhouette get it from Linda McClure so you get the cake package. No one else has the cake package and you need that special blade. Do a google search for deseret designs and you'll find her website. I use make the cut (MTC) and I can use any image I want to cut with.....I don't have to depend on cartridges. You can download a trial version of MTC and try it out. Linda also has her class on DVD now and it's worth every penny you'll spend on it. Follow her instructions and you'll get perfect cuts every time. She also has youtube videos you can check out. I took her class and it was awsome.

Normita Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:33am
post #8 of 16

Thanks for th helpful suggestions.

I found a guy on craigslist that is selling the silhouette for $50 so I might want to buy that and give it a try! I'll look at Linda mcclures website/videos for more help.

Normita Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:00am
post #9 of 16

I have one final question...is there only one version of the silhouette?

tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:08am
post #10 of 16

The blade that comes with the silhouette WILL NOT work for cutting gumpaste, fondant, or frosting sheets. You need the blade that Linda has.

Normita Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:25am
post #11 of 16
Quote:

The blade that comes with the silhouette WILL NOT work for cutting gumpaste, fondant, or frosting sheets. You need the blade that Linda has.

I understand that the blade will not work...but are there several versions of the silhouette...I mean is there only one model out there? Someones trying to sell me there's and it's blue...the one Linda uses is a different color.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 16

Mine says "Silhouette SD" and it is not blue. I have no idea how many versions there are. How old is the one they are trying to sell and what model is it? Find out that info and email LInda and see if she thinks it will work with her blade housing. Then I would contact MTC and see if their software will work with that model. Cheap isn't always the cheap in the end.

Normita Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Mine says "Silhouette SD" and it is not blue. I have no idea how many versions there are. How old is the one they are trying to sell and what model is it? Find out that info and email LInda and see if she thinks it will work with her blade housing. Then I would contact MTC and see if their software will work with that model. Cheap isn't always the cheap in the end.

I'm going to get the details...he posted a pix of the machine but it wasn't the one he had...it's the pic you find online. It only read silhouette..it did not have SD. I was looking everywhere for linda's email but I couldn't find it. Do you happen to have it?

I agree..sometimes you try to go cheap..and it kicks you in the butt lol!!

tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 16

I'll pm it to you

bonniekaye Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

I'll pm it to you

tiggy2. did you get her new class DVD set? I took the class and was thinking about getting the advanced class on DVD as a refresher. If you did get the class DVD, what did you think of it? Was it worth the money?

tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:37pm
post #16 of 16

I watched it with my friend and it's awsome! I think it's well worth the money considering the cost of the 2 day advanced class. Then you have it at your finger tips as a refresher any time you need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%