Can I Use Unbleached Ap Flour In Place Of Cake Flour?

Baking By hollys_hobby Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 3:02am by PistachioCranberry

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 12

I am wanting to make this recipe by Sylvia Weinstock http://archives.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/09/sylvia.weinstock/yellow.cake.html but don't have cake flour, and can't get to the store right now....

Also, I have failed many time with scratch recipes, so I really prefer to weigh all of my ingredients, can anyone tell me what the weights would be for this recipe? specifically the flour?

Thank you so much!! My oven is hot and waiting!!!! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 12

Yes, but remove 1 TBSP flour per cup of flour and sift it three times -- that gives you the cake flour equivalent. One thing about her cake recipe though, the taste is out of this world but sometimes it bakes up dry and sometimes it bakes up just right. She has a revised recipe in her second book with additional milk in it. I think it was like 1 cup but I can't recall offhand. Good luck!

hollys_hobby Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much!
I googled it and was able to find her revised version, it is 1 cup milk, also adds 1/2 tsp. ginger too... I don't care for a ginger flavor, do you think I would taste that small of an amount?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 12

I always omitted the ginger, but it's a personal preference.

hollys_hobby Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much!!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 12

All cake flour is bleached, however (as you noted) not all AP flour is bleached.

I wouldn't recommend replacing bleached flour with unbleached flour - the results won't be the same (especially if you're making a pound cake which is butter heavy).

I made two butter pound cakes in bundt pans, one with bleached flour and one with unbleached flour. The results: the cake with unbleached flour had a greasy appearance and mouth feel in the lower third of the baked cake....

It appears that bleaching results in the flour particles developing jagged edges which helps in holding the butter in suspension.

More than you ever wanted to know about flour and cake making:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2010/03/the_power_of_flour_part_one_of.html

HTH

hollys_hobby Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 12

wow, thank you Jan! I am a new convert to scratch baking and love learning the science of it!!

hollys_hobby Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 12

so I was just reading through that link, and discovered why my last recipe failed!! I used Cakelove's Yellow cake recipe, and it turned out dense and chewy and hardly rose. Not what I want for a cupcake!! I am so glad you posted that link before I failed at yet another recipe! I am now excited to try Cakelove's again, as the flavor was amazing, just the texture was icky... now I know NOT to use UNbleached flour!!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 12

Yes, it is interesting isn't it. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

And using bleached is easier than using unbleached and trying to figure out the 15% potato starch substitution.... tapedshut.gif

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:25am
post #10 of 12

Where can I find the revised version? I was planning on trying this cake next.

hollys_hobby Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #11 of 12
PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #12 of 12

I just want to say that I love seeing people willing to learn to scratch bake even through all the failures. There's this feeling you get when it comes out great and you know you did it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%