Isn't This Pastillage And Not Gumpaste?

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 3:26pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 5

Found a gum paste recipe here and made it. It dried crazy fast and I couldn't even make a flower because the petals were breaking off as I worked. It was gelatin water corn syrup and powdered sugar. I saw a recipe for Pastillage and it was like this. Did I make the wrong thing? Are they the same thing? Isn't it dangerous to use raw eggs in the gum paste?

4 replies
weirkd Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 5

Pastillage is very similiar to gumpaste. The recipe for gumpaste should of included either tylose or gum trag for drying. The recipe I use for my gumpaste has a egg white in it. Not many people eat the gumpaste flowers but I think there is a chemical reaction when you add the gum trag or tylose to it that actually cooks the eggwhite like a meringue or a seviche does with seafood. But I could be wrong.

LindaF144a Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

Found a gum paste recipe here and made it. It dried crazy fast and I couldn't even make a flower because the petals were breaking off as I worked. It was gelatin water corn syrup and powdered sugar. I saw a recipe for Pastillage and it was like this. Did I make the wrong thing? Are they the same thing? Isn't it dangerous to use raw eggs in the gum paste?

Can you post the recipe or a link so we can look at it?
Where does the raw egg come in? Is it the whole egg?
The recipe would help to give a better answer.

Marianna46 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 5

It sounds like your gumpaste certainly WAS acting like pastillage, but the recipes, while similar, are different and the two pastes supposedly have different drying times. I recommend the recipe for gumpaste posted by chaptips in the recipe section here. It's essentially Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I've used it before and it works very well. I sub out the egg whites for meringue powder and water, because, like you, I'm leary of using raw egg whites. Pastillage has no egg whites, but has a lot of cornstarch and some cream of tartar (there's a recipe on here for that, too). If your gumpaste was drying too fast, it might be because the humidity when you were working with it was very low or you might just need to put a little more liquid in it (corn syrup or water) so it will stay pliable a little longer. Hope you have better luck next time!

kristiemarie Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all!

Linda, I didn't use egg whites but was wondering if it was safe because most gumpaste recipes call for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%