Orange Dreamsicle Recipe Change??

Baking By MrsMoe07 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 8:15pm by KATHIESKREATIONS

MrsMoe07 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:07am
post #1 of 11

Ok so I'm a newbie and already addicted!! I was going through the gourmet flavors post that has been going for 2 years WOW and I noticed the recipe has changed. Does anyone know why? Should I go with the recipe that's saved on the google doc or the recipe that MacsMom posted back in 2009?

I know its crazy that I was going through the post, but I wanted to see what was going on that topic was still getting buzz 2 years later, lol.

10 replies
MacsMom Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:54am
post #2 of 11

The original orange dreamsicle was taken in part from the "Cake Doctor" book - the "melted ice-cream" cake. While very good, it was too moist for most anything but a 9x13, so I adapted it to fit the WASC recipe, making it more carvable and stackable.

Since then, CC'ers have experimented with using OJ and diet orange soda, all with good results. I prefer the melted sherbet, but I add extra orange flavoring for more oomph.

Stacie

caymancake Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 8:58am
post #3 of 11

I just recently tried it out (wasc method) using an orange cake mix instead of white, swapping out orange soda for the liquid, orange cream yogurt for the sour cream and also used orange extract. Tastes like an orange candy! It was yummy and great orange colour too!

JulieMN Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 11

I use MacsMom's version on the google doc using the orange soda. It is one of my family's favorites!

MrsMoe07 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:36am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

The original orange dreamsicle was taken in part from the "Cake Doctor" book - the "melted ice-cream" cake. While very good, it was too moist for most anything but a 9x13, so I adapted it to fit the WASC recipe, making it more carvable and stackable.

Since then, CC'ers have experimented with using OJ and diet orange soda, all with good results. I prefer the melted sherbet, but I add extra orange flavoring for more oomph.

Stacie

Are you saying you omit the orange juice and replace with sherbet in addition to the sherbet mentioned? I made the cake last night and have no tasted it. But it smells delicious!! I can't wait!

MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Stacie

Are you saying you omit the orange juice and replace with sherbet in addition to the sherbet mentioned? I made the cake last night and have no tasted it. But it smells delicious!! I can't wait!

No, I keep it the same... I meant that others have omitted the sherbet and used all OJ or all orange soda with added flavoring, experimenting because some have had trouble with their cakes sinking when using sherbet.

I adapted the sherbet version because we don't have orange cake mix here and I really wanted to try an orange cake.

Gerle Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 11

MacsMom...did you change the recipe from what's listed in the gourmet list? If so, where can I get those changes? I've always loved the dreamsicle ice cream and am wanting to try this cake. I'm going to keep my eyes open for orange cake in the stores, too. I use to see it, but haven't really looked in a few years.

MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

MacsMom...did you change the recipe from what's listed in the gourmet list? If so, where can I get those changes? I've always loved the dreamsicle ice cream and am wanting to try this cake. I'm going to keep my eyes open for orange cake in the stores, too. I use to see it, but haven't really looked in a few years.

I had to look to see if I had already changed it -- yes, that recipe is exactly how I make it. It's my absolute favorite cake!

Try this, torte an orange cake (two 1" halves) and torte a chocolate cake. Layer orange cake with orange truffle (orange flavoring added to white choc truffle) alternating with the chocolate cake and chocolate truffle. icon_smile.gif

Gerle Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks MacsMom. I've never been a fan of chocolate cake, so your second version will be tried on the rest of the family. I'll stick to the original. Thanks again!

MrsMoe07 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 11

Not a chocolate fan but my in-laws are. I'm going to try this on our family vacation next week!

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 11

MacsMom, are you talking about your white chocolate truffel recipe:

Quote:
Quote:

Truffle filling (can also be made with white chocolate or dark chocolate. Great to add LoRann flavors to, like creme de menthe)- MacsMom
16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c milk chocolate chips (2 bags)
1/3 c butter
1-1/2 t vanilla
2 c PS, sifted

I can't wait to do the orange, chocolate combo with the truffel filling.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%