Will Italian Meringue Buttercream Hold Up On A Hot Day?

Decorating By tamashi Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 5:34am by tamashi

tamashi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamashi Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on making a farewell cake for my friends that are moving out of state. We're having a bbq at a local spring (1 hour drive from my house) and it will be during a hot Florida day (mid 80s or maybe even in the 90s). I'm arriving late (2pm?) so I don't think the cake will be sitting out for longer than 2 hrs before we cut into it... but you know how life gets sometimes. I'm worried that the cake is going to melt or that it'll turn bad icon_sad.gif I don't like using shortening based frosting so I want to use an Italian Meringue buttercream to fill and frost the cake (I usually use Swiss meringue buttercream but heard IMBC holds up better). I'm also covering it in Marshmallow fondant... Do you think it'll be ok?

Also - sorry if this has been posted before. I tried searching to forums but couldn't find any posts that answered my question.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #2 of 4

Eeek, that's a hard one - I make SMBC exclusively and I'd probably not want to take the chance. I don't think IMBC holds up much better to heat. In my personal experience, MMF does not hold up or hold in the cold as well as regular fondant, so if I were you and you wanted to do this, I'd use regular fondant (either make my own or buy it), do a thicker covering then I normally would to insulate it best I can, get that cake super super cold (like, practically frozen), and make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight.

I don't live in a hot area so I'm really just speaking hypothetical here, this is not something I've done myself.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it went!

Jen

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #3 of 4

I live in the tropics and make a lot all-butter mousseline (IMBC) cakes. In my experience, yes they will hold up as long as it's not in direct heat, especially if you're covering with fondant.

I dont' refrigerate cakes. Just keep everything at cool airconditioned room temp. They hold up well. I've never had any problems.

tamashi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamashi Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 5:34am
post #4 of 4

Hey Jen! I love the taste of SMBC icon_smile.gif It's totally my go to frosting! I've read that IMBC is supposed to hold up better because of the way it's made but I'm kinda scared cause it'll be my first time XD I was thinking of freezing the cakes before assembling but then I was worried that when they started to thaw the condensation would mess with the MMF... So tricky! icon_sad.gif I plan on keeping it out of direct sunlight, hopefully under a nice cool tree. Thanks for your advice and I'll let you guys know how it goes icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat - I'm so glad to hear that icon_biggrin.gif I'm hoping that the day turns out to be on the cooler side, just so my nerves aren't so rattled :{ I might just make them dig in after I get there XD Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%