Is This Normal? Fading Wilton Violet In Mmf??

Decorating By conchita Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 12:28am by conchita

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, I made mmf and I also purchase the Wilton violet color to dye my fondant , I made some loops because I am going to make a loopy bow so I left them 2 days to dry and the color fade it looks like almost white or light grey. I am wondering if this ever happen to you before and what can I do so this won't happen again.
thanks

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/fondant.jpg/

7 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 8

Purple does fade badly. Americolor purple is no better. You could try using powder colours, I think they're a little better.

Whenever I make anything purple that needs drying time I put it in an open container in a dark cupboard to dry until I need it.

conchita Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 5:13am
post #3 of 8

Thanks coral for your reply

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:04am
post #4 of 8

Yes, it can be normal. Technically, its not the purple that is fading but its the red.

Red + Blue (2 primary colors) = purple.

when the red fades, it leaves blue, or sometimes will fade to gray or white-ish.

Here's the history lesson on why this happens and it goes back to the 1970s ..... http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653200-red.html+dye

conchita Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 8

indydebi thank you so much for the information it really helps, but I have another question I have seen bows that are ready made and they sell them in the internet they are super red, black, and purples how do they keep this colors? if i purchase purple, red or black ready made fondant this will keep the color for days?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 8

I have mentioned this before, if you add 1 tsp of baking soda to 1 pound of fondant or gumpaste it will slow down the colour change in purple and pink.
I have some dark pink and purple flowers that are a year old and they have only faded a bit.

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 8

If you add just a little pink fondant to your purple fondant....maybe a marble size pink to a baseball size purple (not an exact science)...it helps.

conchita Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:28am
post #8 of 8

thanks dsilvest and mommyto4 for the tips I will try that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%