Cream Cheese Icing... Food Safety???

Decorating By Circae Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 1:00am by Circae

Circae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Circae Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 3

I am putting together a last minute wedding cake for a friend tomorrow and the bride requested red velvet with cream cheese icing and a mousse filling (like the Costco recipe). I plan on using the crusting cream cheese recipe I found here on CC but I'm worried about how long this can safely sit out. I don't want it to sour or go bad. The set up time is between 4-6, and of course the cake cutting is usually always toward the end of the night!

My questions are, how long do you think this cake can be safely left out between the mousse filling and cream cheese icing? Can I leave it out overnight or should I refrigerate it? If I put it in the fridge, should I take it out in the morning to come to room temp or closer to the time I'm supposed to set up at the reception site? And if I refrigerate it will it sweat too badly as it comes to room temp?? If I set up around 4, will it be safe enough and not melt by the time they actually cut and serve it?

Thank you all for your help!

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 3

Cream cheese recipes vary, so your cc frosting may or may not require refrigeration.

However, the Costco Mousse recipe definitely requires constant refrigeration (except when it is being served - maximum "out" time is 4 hrs.):

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7308/costco-mousse-recipe

HTH

Circae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Circae Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:00am
post #3 of 3

Thanks, that does give me a better time frame to work within then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%