My Strawberry Filling Keeps Leaking Out!

Decorating By Bri83 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm by jammjenks

Bri83 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

I am filling a cake for a little girls ninth bday, i am using the a strawberry filling from CC recipes. I iced the bottom layer and built a dam with buttercream, do i need to refridgerate before putting the filling in? i tried once not only did the filling leak out the top cake layer was really hard to put on with out do u do that with out breaking the cake.....ugh icon_sad.gif

5 replies
sandeeb Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 6

One of the first things I realized when making a dam, to hold filling, it needs to be about an inch wide. Make sure it is not to soft, the icing you're using to make the dam. I started out using tip #12 to make a dam and now I use tip 1-A. This will help prevent the bulge where the dam is also.

As for putting the second layer in place I use a double wall cake board, spread on some cornstarch, shake a bit of it off and turn the cake onto this board, top side down, and line it up with the first layer and carefully slide the cake off the board. Try not to hold it at too high and angle because this might cause the cake to break.

I find it helps to have someone else either hold the board, with the cake, or guide the cake into position on the bottom cake. Sorry it's so long. Hope it helps.

sandeeb Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 6

please write back if there is something that needs clarifying.

JanH Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 6

How much filling are you using?

Here's a sleeved pastry filling usage chart by cake sizes:
(So you can compare how much they recommend and you actually use.)

Bri83 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 6

icon_smile.gif thank you for the advise, my husband enjoyed eating the flop cake, even thugho it looked like a leaking volcano, it tasted great icon_smile.gif

I think i did slightly overfill it, and i definitely did not put a thick enough dam i just used the coupler as a guide when i put my first dam on. i put my flop cake in the freezer right after it began oozing and this seemed to harden up the buttercream quite quickly, and it might even be something i will do before filling next time.

will the sweating of the cake after defrost affect the filling at all?

ty again

jammjenks Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 6

Another thing I learned: once the caked is dammed icon_razz.gif , you do not have to put the filling all the way to the dam. I like to leave about 1/4 inch or so of empty space between the filling and the dam. The upper layer will push it out to fill in the space.

Quote by @%username% on %date%