Carving A Frozen Cake...when Do I Ice/cover In Fondant??

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 10:40pm by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I am doing a race car cake tonight, and I baked it last night and froze it so that it would be easier to carve. I plan on carving it right when I take it out of the freezer, but I have no clue when I am supposed to ice it and cover in fondant. Do I let the cake thaw completely before I ice/cover? If so, if I carve immediately after removing from the freezer, what do I do with the cake while it's thawing? Do I cover it in saran wrap again? I am trying to avoid condensation from forming on the cake. Can I ice it in buttercream while frozen? Then wait till it's room temp to cover in fondant? Any tips are greatly appreciated....I've only frozen a cake once and it didn't need to be carved or covered in fondant!

4 replies
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 5

From experience, carve the frozen cake and let it defrost before covering it in BC and fondant (you can wrap it up if you want). The condensation and moisture from the frozen cake will breakdown the BC and melt the fondant. I've usually just freeze the cakes for a couple of hours so that they're not all the way frozen but firm enough to carve which cuts down the waiting time before adding BC to it.

Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 5

I do it exactly as Angela does when I used to use BC. I've also iced a frozen cake with ganache with no problems.

lutie Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 5

I always take my cakes out the night before and let them defrost in the wrapping. This keeps them from drying out and the cake reabsorbs the moisture. My carving is no problem with defrosted cake.

cakeflake80 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! So my plan is to take it out right now and carve it right away so that there isn't any condensation forming on the cake. I'll re-wrap in saran wrap and leave it to defrost and then I will ice and cover in fondant. Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%