How To Cover A Large Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By tinaclarke Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm by tinaclarke

tinaclarke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinaclarke Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hi!
I am attempting to cover a 4ft long snake cake with fondant. I iced it a couple of hours ago and let the icing dry. Problem is I can't really chill it b/c it is over 4 ft long. It's also very curvy. Any tips on how I would cover this with fondant? On my practice cake I tried piecing it together, but it looked terrible, and its not like I am adding anythign that could cover the seams...unless someone has an idea for that.
please help with ANY ideas!
Thanks!

6 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds cool! Although I have never done a snake, I would roll out the fondant to the length you need, dust it with some corn starch to keep it from sticking together then roll it over a small rod or rolling pin (like a spool of ribbon). Start on one end of the snake and slowly roll out the fondant following the curves then smooth it out and trim off the excess along the sides.

Or, if you cover it up in sections, could you add a diamond print or stripes over the seams to hide it?

MamaCow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaCow Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 7

I know you asked about fondant but how about using modeling chocolate instead since you can blend in the seams. AngelFood4 has an awesome and super easy recipe on her website.

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 7

I'd say a stripey snake would solve your problem!

Mom_of_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_of_one Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 7

Oh striped is a great idea! My thought was to use modeling chocolate as well. You can blend seems really well.

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7

Another idea, though tedious, would be to use the fondant to cut out overlaying individual scales.

tinaclarke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinaclarke Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Everyone! I managed to get it done. I thought it was just OK, but the little girl and her parents loved it.
thanks so much!
Haven't tried the modeling chocolate yet, but I plan on going to that website and getting some. Seems better than fondant. Oh, I threw some "dirt" over the seams. lol I guess it worked ok. next time I will defintely try to chocolate.
Thanks for all the advice!
Here's my cake.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%