Wedding Vent

Lounge By dchockeyguy Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 1:22am by tryingcake

dchockeyguy Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 9

I now have a new appreciation of what brides go through when getting married and why they worry so much. I'm getting on Sunday, and several things have gone wrong and still aren't resolved. I am hereby vowing to always pay extra special attention (more than usual) when i do a wedding cake for someone. I know now how it feels to have things go wrong!

8 replies
ladyellam Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 9

Take a deep breath and try to relax. When it's all said and done, I would rather have a fantastic marriage than a beautiful "perfect" wedding.

Congrats to you and yours!

Elcee Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 9

dchockeyguy, all the details that seem so important today won't matter a bit on Sunday! Really, unless something HUGE goes wrong, you won't even notice. I remember that a bridesmaid fainted during my wedding ceremony but barely remember what my flowers looked like.

Relax, have fun, and congratulations!

JulieMN Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 9

Here is to a lovely wedding day and a long and happy life together! Congratulations!

FromScratchSF Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #5 of 9

Congrats!!!

The best advice I got when I got married was... just remember, if something doesn't go the way it's supposed to, nobody but you is going to know. Your guests will have no idea and probably won't miss it.

Best of luck to you,

Jen

m_willford Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 9

I remember walking into my reception and the first thing I saw was the cake was tilting and the flowers were not what I had requested. At all. I had asked for a specific placement of the flowers, that was my one thing. And she paid no attention to it! (She did one of my SIL's cake too and I was not impressed...)

I take that experience with ever wedding cake that I do. No bride should walk into her reception and think, "What the heck happened to my cake?" I'm a perfectionist at heart anyway,

Sangriacupcake Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 9

My dd got married last fall, and as the date grew closer there were a few snags with the caterer, her dress, etc. She was so stressed. I told her that as long as the bride, groom, minister & two witnesses were present, there would be a wedding....everything else was just a party to celebrate!! It helped her put the problems into perspective. Good luck and have fun!

cheatize Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 9

My great-nephew was ring bearer for my daughter's wedding. He had to be carried (under the arms) up the aisle while he was kicking and protesting. My thoughts? "Thank, God! NOW it's a wedding!" It's not a wedding until a relative acts up. lol

tryingcake Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:22am
post #9 of 9

This is the last section paragraph of my contract:

Unexpected Happenings          

We are very dependent on human nature, hot weather, cold weather, rain, snow, illness, good health, and so on. You are planning the most wonderful, memorable day of your life. Yet, even with all the advanced, well-thought planning, something will go wrong. There are many people/services pulling together to make your day as great as it can be. No one is out to hurt or ruin your day. When a mistake is made, the service provider will remember it long after you have forgotten. The professionals you have hired only want to uphold the good reputations that caused you seek them out to begin with. If a mistake is made, dont let it control the whole day. Just chalk it up to memories. What seems upsetting today will probably be a funny memory years from now. We do not live in Utopia and no one person is perfect. Try to remember what is really important. At the end of the day, did that mistake (no matter how little or how grand) keep you from becoming married? The bottom line, at the end of the day you are still just as married as if nothing went wrong and the world is perfect.           
Dont lose sight of the real reason youre here. Do you want to remember your wedding day as the day you got married and were joyous, or the day you cried and became angry because the music wasnt just right, the DJ didnt play the right song, the caterer served chicken legs instead of wings, or the cake has lavender flowers instead of purple? Its your day. It will ultimately be as joyous as you allow it to be. Ultimately, if it doesn't keep you and your new husband from signing on the dotted line, it's wasn't a make or break portion of your wedding anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%