Which Is Better For Figurines:gumpaste,chocolate,marzipan?

Decorating By naughtyhobbit Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm by Coral3

naughtyhobbit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naughtyhobbit Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to improove my cake toppers (especially figurines). Now I am using gumpaste (home made fondant mixed with CMC), but often I am not 100% satisfied with my work. Sometimes there are cracks on figurines, although I'm very careful with kneading fondant. I'm thinking about trying to make figurines of marzipan or modelling chocolate maybe... Can anyone give me some advice which one is better and why? Thanks.

6 replies
KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 7

Marzipan , I found is incredibly hard to work with unless you have cold hands all the time. It also tends to settle into squatty looking figures. I'm a believer in the fondant/gumpaste combo.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 7

modeling chocolate for figurines - dries instantly, easy to sculpt with and blend seams in. I've used gumpaste and even MMF mixed with Tylose but you have to build all the pieces separately, let them dry for a day or 2 then assemble. With mod choc you can build everything up at once easily and quickly.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 7

I don't like gumpaste for figurines. I use fondant with gum tragacanth powder mixed in (about 1tsp per 500g fondant) and that works well, although yes I do have to build in 'stages' (ie I'll build up to the waist, let dry a day, add the torso, let dry a day, then add the head and let the whole thing dry well).

I've not tried modelling chocolate though, but keep hearing good things about it. Do you make your own AngelFood? and if so is there a specific recipe you recommend?

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 7

You'll love working with it Coral3. I have the recipe I use (with Candy Melts) on my blog:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 7

I personally prefer modeling chocolate as well because the seams are easier to "clean up".

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFood4

You'll love working with it Coral3. I have the recipe I use (with Candy Melts) on my blog:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html

Thankyou!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%