Help! Why Didn't My Ganache Set Over Night?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 6:11pm by KarenOR

KarenOR Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 7

It was totally liquid stilll this morning. I used the 1 cup to 8oz of chocolate x 6 and even added an extra bag of chocolate for good measure. This morning, I heated it up and added two more bags and it was still liquid after being in the fridge for an hour.
Today is cake day. I need it to be thick because it's going to be the base for the panels of the Sesame street building.
What can I do? Just keep adding chocolate?

6 replies
gbbaker Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 7

I use 1 lb of chocolate to 1 cup of heavy cream. What type of chocolate are you using?

KarenOR Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 7

I used mostly milk chocolate but have been adding semi sweet now. I checked a bunch of places online it seemed that 8oz was how much most were using. It probably has now averaged to about 12-14oz and I'm adding two more bags and hope that does it.
it's on a double boilerer to heat up.

ALVARGA Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 7

The ratio that I use is 1 to 2. 1 cup cream to 2 cups or 16 oz chocolate. You used a 1 to 1 ratio, that is why it is not setting up. Adding more chocolate should take care of it. Ganache takes a couple of hours to set up. It will probably take more than an hour in the fridge to set up. HTH...

KarenOR Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 7

The first time it was in overnight.
Now, it was actually really thick when it went in, so it should be good by later this afternoon. I think I ended up adding more than a 2 to 1 when all was said and done. Thanks.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 7

Milk chocolate needs to be 3:1, just like white chocolate, as there isn't enough cocoa solids to make it set at a lower concentration.

KarenOR Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah, I figured that out now icon_smile.gif The bags I added were semi-sweet, so I think that helps.
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%