Help On Pricing?

Decorating By karene24 Updated 18 May 2011 , 3:24pm by karene24

karene24 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 4

Someone is asking me to do a 4 Tier Wedding Cake.. Dummy Cake with the Top layer real. And Sheet cake for 175 People. Plain White Fondant with ribbon and real flowers.. very simple cake. Can Anyone tell me How they would price this? Please and Thank You icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

3 replies
smallville187 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 4

I think the most important thing is to cover cost and your time. Add up all the cost of ingredients, not to mention paper towels, cake boards, the dummy cake foam, include shipping and handling, gas for trips to the store, then what your time means to you. How long it will take you. Also do you need to have permits/license (if you don't already) to deliver the final cake? Pricing is extremely consuming the first time then you have it all down you can quote quickly. I know for a dummy cake it takes the same amount of time to decorate so don't sell yourself short just because you're not baking that portion, you're still making the sheets. HTH

caymancake Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 4

One thing to also make clear is that you still have to purchase the dummy cakes (which for me being here in the cayman islands to buy and have them shipped works out to be the same as a regular cake!), and use regular icing/fondant as well as your time and labour! I hadmone bride get all huffy with me when I told her having a dummy cake wouldn't really save her that much in the long run!

I would charge a discounted "per serving" price that includes your time/labour costs as well. So if you would normally charge $4 per serving for a tiered fondant cake, maybe charge $2 or $2.50 "per serving" instead. Sheet cakes, just charge your regular prices - whether it's a flat fee or a preserving fee. I hope that makes sense and helps!

karene24 Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you Ladies. That helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%