Long Dowel Through Entire Cake?

Decorating By Amylou Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 4:38pm by Amylou

Amylou Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 3

I am setting up a wedding cake tonite, with styrofoam spacers between 2 of the tiers, assemblying at the site. The size of the cakes/spacers are (bottom to top):

12" cake
8" spacer
10"cake
6" spacer
8" cake

I plan to use some bc on the bottom of each spacer so it sticks to the cake, and double sided tape on the tops that stick to cake boards. My question is, would you go as far as to put a center dowel (or two) down through the whole setup? Or just setup as is without additional support. It will be on a table set in a outdoor gazebo, weather is mild, no winds icon_smile.gif
First time using styro spacers, so not sure if I should add the support.

Thanks!

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 3

Don't stick the styrofoam spacers directly on cake below, you can stick it to its own board with buttercream, then stick the board to the cake below. If you don't have the spacers on their own board, the support system below can pierce into the dummy.

It isn't necessary to use a center dowel through dummies. A center dowel won't offer additional support, it can only help to prevent the tiers from sliding apart from one another.

Amylou Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much! I thought about the spacer on it's own board after I posted, so will definitely do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%