Question About Mousse Filling

Decorating By sistergirl1 Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 5:15pm by Amylou

sistergirl1 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 2

I realized recently that I'm utterly bored with buttercream as a filling for my cakes, and I want to branch out. I'm making two cakes for Easter weekend - one for my mother's birthday and one for my son's baptism - and I have this burning desire to fill one with raspberry mousse and one with chocolate mousse. My question is, how do I make sure the mousse doesn't get squashed by the top layer? Is there a particular recipe that will stand up to pressure, or some technique to make it work? The cakes will be your basic 8" or 9" rounds, so we're not talking anything really big.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been decorating for about 10 years, but I'm only a hobbyist, doing a few cakes a year for friends and family, so I have tons to learn. I'm excited to have found this site!

~kathryn~

1 reply
Amylou Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 2

Make your dam very stiff, to the point you can mold it by hand (just your bc with added powdered sugar). I make my mousse with bEttercream, a non-dairy whipped topping, and I add a package of any dry pudding mix to it when whipping it up. It actually comes out more firm than soft and holds up well as a filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%