Cake Balls- Did I Mess Up?

Baking By Queento2 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:42pm by Queento2

Queento2 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 18

Good morning. I made german chocolate cake balls last night. The recipe was from mamakeef. The cake tastes GREAT! But, here is where I might have messed up. I don't have any homemade frosting on hand, and so didnt feel like making any at 10pm, as no telling where all powdered sugar would have ended up with me being tired. So, I made the german chocolate topping stuff, and scooped some of that into my crumbled cake. But, my topping was no where near "thick" like the recipe called for. So, i used it sparingly to moisten the cake and make it sticky for rolling into balls. But, my question is will the coconut and pecans make my balls crumble when i go to dip them this evening. They've been in the freezer since last night. i know that I need to let them thaw for awhile before dipping them today. But, do you think they'll crumble in the chocolate? I would hate to waste all that white chocolate if I already "know" they're goners. icon_cry.gif I would rather just eat them as plain balls then, which are delicious by the way lol. Thank you.

17 replies
MarlaQuack Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 18

With out seeing what you have there is no way to answer that question.

Good Luck,
Marla

Queento2 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 18

You can't tell by looking at the ball. They look nice, round, and sticky(for lack of a better word). I'm just worried that once the melted chocolate hits them and a toothpick or fork, that they won't hold up. Is it possible for them not to be totally thawed out, so that they'll stay whole long enough to dip and sit aside?

MarlaQuack Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 18

I don't totally thaw mine.

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 18

german chocolate cake balls are on my menu, Ive never had a problem with them.
I use the flaked coconut and I grind my walnuts in the grinder. not to a powder, just into small pieces you can still see. i never used a 'thin' german chocolate frosting though, and i also use it with cake mix chocolate cake. You should be fine. icon_smile.gif

Queento2 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try them tonight when i get home. I really I had either a)ground the chopped pecans smaller or b)used the pecan chips that are in my cabinet s well. icon_rolleyes.gif Another question, how long should I let them sit out before dipping them? The last time(and first time) I only let the balls sit in the freezer for like 25 minutes before dipping, so I didnt have the thawing problem(only the crumbling one icon_sad.gif ).

Cakes-and-bakes Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 18

for as long as ive been making pops, i see that for some reason what works for some doesnt work for others. I used to dip right out of the freezer, but when I did that most of my cake balls would crack, where I see people here saying that doesnt happen with them.
Now what I do, (again this is what works for me) is I just keep them in the fridge for a few hours til they are firm and dried up a bit. I dont get any cracks this way and im a little gentler when i dip. as long as i dip the pop stick into some melted chocolate before I stick it into the cake ball, I have no issues with the ball falling off the stick. and if theyre firm enough and dried up enough, no crumbling.
Something I didnt like about freezing was when I dipped them too cold, even the ones that didnt crack would sweat.
theyre tricky little buggers!

Queento2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 18

Well, I'm happy to report that they ended up fine. But, I learned a WHOLE LOT! I didnt have enough of the white almond bark, so I addded in some white chocolate at the end. BIG MISTAKE! I don't know if you shouldn't mix the two, or what, but it turned into a nasty looking globby mess. So, I ran to the store and picked up, not almond bark like I knew would work, but the candy melts. Yeah, those didn't work. The consistency was nice, but they were taking way longer to dry(and at this point I was rushing). So, I would candy melts again in the future, but not for a rush job. Anyway, so I just didn't finish that batch for church that day, they got 26 instead of 51, oh well, it was free anyway. Fast forward a few days, and I made some for DD's easter party today...with almond bark. icon_biggrin.gif They set up nice quick and hard.

But, this leads me to yet another question. How do you get the cake balls to be nice and round all over? Obviously you can't sit them on a wax paper cause the bottom flattens out. With the first batch, I trying rigging a sort of stand with holes in them. This worked kind of, but made the process super slow and quite messy cause the chocolate kept dripping onto my hands. So, what method do you use to set them to the side to harden?

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 18
Queento2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 18

Thank you for that tutorial link. I see that I need to let the chocolate drip off a bit more. However, I don't make them into cake pops, but into cake balls and once dry they go into mini cupcake liners. So, should i use skewers instead of toothpicks? I don't sell these, so I don't want to waste money on cake pop sticks.

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 18

Pioneer Woman does it with a spoon!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/cake-pop-lesson-1-the-cake-ball/

Don't know how that would work. But maybe it does.

Pastry chefs use that special fork and there's also a dipping spoon with holes that I think would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2OF1/?tag=cakecentral-20

jenng1482 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 18

I dip mine on long metal grilling skewers and then stand them up in a sturdy cup until dry. I use 6-8 skewers so by the time i get 6 dipped, the first ones I did are ready to be removed from the skewer. They are perfectly round and no flat bottoms.

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 18
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jausTee

But, this leads me to yet another question. How do you get the cake balls to be nice and round all over?

Have you seen this?? Looks AWESOME!!

(mod edited to remove spam)

Huh, now I really think you work for this company since you only have 2 posts and both of them are for the AMAZING! cake pop roller. Solicitating your company or product without paying for advertising on this site is against CC posting guidelines. I'm not normally a posting Nazi but we'd appreciate it if you honor our community and stop trying to sell this machine on every cake pop thread without us having to report you.

Thank you.

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jausTee

But, this leads me to yet another question. How do you get the cake balls to be nice and round all over?

Have you seen this?? Looks AWESOME!!

(mod edited to remove spam)

Huh, now I really think you work for this company since you only have 2 posts and both of them are for the AMAZING! cake pop roller. Solicitating your company or product without paying for advertising on this site is against CC posting guidelines. I'm not normally a posting Nazi but we'd appreciate it if you honor our community and stop trying to sell this machine on every cake pop thread without us having to report you.

Thank you.

Aha! good spotting, FSSF! Ugh, I thought it was the other person who we were helping because of the "but this leads me into..."

Thank you.

FromScratchSF Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:38pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Aha! good spotting, FSSF! Ugh, I thought it was the other person who we were helping because of the "but this leads me into..."

Thank you.

I have been following the main cake pop roller thread and these posts are VERY similar to several other noob posts in it. The "AMAZING!" tipped me off.

At 200 bucks a roller they need to pay for advertising.

Jen

Queento2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 18

I caught it too once i clicked on the link. I don't sell these things. There's no way in you know where I'm buying one. besides, that's the fun and easy part. I like rolling them. I can watch tv and not think about it much. Now, if she comes up with a better and easier way to dip and set them aside, I just might get one. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%