Cake Servings For 12" Round

Decorating By BellaRose Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm by CWR41

BellaRose Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake for a customer and she needs it to feed 40 ppl. According to all the sites I've checked a 12" round should be fine, but shes "heard from other people" that that wont be big enough. Does anyone know from actual experience? And I know if it needs to be bigger, she will complain as she already did at the price for the 12" one. Help. lol.

6 replies
angelcakes5 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 7

Yes 40 party slices out of a 12" round is correct.

BellaRose Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 7

I mean of course if she is cutting the slices 3" wide it wont be enough, but hopefully she is smart about it. And if shes inviting 40, will 40 show and will they all eat cake? I doubt it, but I figured I'd check anyways. Thank you!!

CWR41 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 7

Industry standard serving size is 56... more than enough.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
You might get extra servings from a 10" (39 servings, if you do the math).

Motta Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 7

Better to go bigger and have more than enough cake. Unless she's cutting it for a wedding, most people will cut bigger for a party. If she's concerned about it then definitely go bigger.

As for price, it is what it is. If she doesn't like it she doesn't have to buy it.

BellaRose Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 7

I guess to make it less stressful on both of us I could do a 12" square cake. It really wouldn't cost me anything more and she can get more servings and it would be easier for her to cut as well.

CWR41 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRose

I guess to make it less stressful on both of us I could do a 12" square cake. It really wouldn't cost me anything more and she can get more servings and it would be easier for her to cut as well.

That's a great idea for a 10" square. She can pay for 50 servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%