Rolled Buttercream & Cricut Cake Machine?

Decorating By BakerAnn Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 2:53am by tiggy2

BakerAnn Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:24am
post #1 of 8

My cakes are iced and decorated almost exclusively in buttercream. My clients have always loved the fact that the flowers and most everything else is edible. I've been watching the Cricut Cake Machine with interest for some time now, but would only consider buying it if I can use rolled buttercream instead of fondant or gum paste. Does anyone know?

7 replies
bakingkat Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:48am
post #2 of 8

You just need to have something pretty stiff and thin for the cricut so I would imagine it would work. Just make sure you can get your buttercream rolled out suuuper thin and place it in the freezer for a few minutes to get it to harden so that it will cut well. I recently got a cricut but haven't really had the time to play with it yet. Good Luck!

bonniekaye Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 8

If your cakes are exclusively buttercream you may want to consider using icing sheets. I have done a few buttercream cakes and have decorated them with the icing sheets from icing images. You can color your sheets or you can use their (coming soon) line of colored icing sheets. I would recommend the icing sheets because it will stick to the buttercream very nicely, not add any extra flavor or texture.

lexi55033 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks bonniekaye for the great idea! I too exclusively cover my cakes in buttercream and this is a great solution! I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

Angie

tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

If your cakes are exclusively buttercream you may want to consider using icing sheets. I have done a few buttercream cakes and have decorated them with the icing sheets from icing images. You can color your sheets or you can use their (coming soon) line of colored icing sheets. I would recommend the icing sheets because it will stick to the buttercream very nicely, not add any extra flavor or texture.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BakerAnn Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:25am
post #6 of 8

Thank you bakingkat for the suggestions on using rolled buttercream, and to bonniekaye for the awesome information about the Silhouette machine! I'm off to Google it and check it out. Be back in a few!

BakerAnn Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:25am
post #7 of 8

OHMYGOSH! icon_eek.gif I am duly impressed with the Silhouette Machine! Again, many thanks for bringing it to my attention. Now all I need is for my long delayed ship to come in, lol! My ol' trusty 40 year old Kitchen Aid mixer undoubtedly needs a backup, the Silhouette has suddenly become a priority ......... icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #8 of 8

Be sure you order it from Linda so you get the cake package....that's the only place you can get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%