Salt Grain Taste In Frosting?

Baking By ctinaw Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm by warchild

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #1 of 5

I just made a batch of frosting - new recipe I'm trying. It tastes good but the salt hasn't seemed to - dissolve. It's weird - like I can taste each individual grain of salt when I test it. The texture is not grainy mind you, but I get this POP of salt flavor when I hit a grain. Made two batches and both turned out that way. It was only half a tsp of salt.

By morning will this have dissolved a bit better perhaps? Hoping so!

4 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:24am
post #2 of 5

I personally like the little salt pop in my buttercreams, it helps cut down the sweetness of the frosting. Did you dissolve the salt in liquid first? I know alot of buttercream recipes stress the need to dissolve it in your milk/water/heavy cream/coffee creamer first to avoid getting grains of salt in your frosting. Hope the batches you already made work out for you. I would assume that they would dissolve somewhat overnight. icon_smile.gif

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:01am
post #3 of 5

I use popcorn salt in buttercream...it is a finer grain. I'm not sure what the proportions would be if you were substituting it for regular salt in a recipe...I suppose you could just do it "to taste"

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:04am
post #4 of 5

Diamond Kosher salt is a flaked salt used by many top professional chefs for its ability to dissolve. It is also nowhere near as strong tasting as table salt. Popcorn salt is a finer grade of table salt.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 5

I use popcorn salt for buttercream as its very fine, almost powdery, and disolves much easier than table salt. I use less than what is called for also, usually a couple small pinches, no more. I add the popcorn salt to any liquid needed beforehand so it will be completely disolved before adding it to the rest of my mixture. I dislike finding surprise salty patches in my buttercream too.

Diamond Kosher salt is my staple salt, used for everything with the exception of cakes & delicate pastries. For those I use extra fine sea salt. I would not recommend using Diamond Kosher salt in buttercream as its too course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%