Poppy Seeds

Baking By bcarb Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm by bcarb

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 5

Was thinking of making a lemon poppy seed cake for Easter. Just a few questions I would like to put out there.
Anyone have experience soaking the seeds over night vs not soaking them?
Also, many of the recipes out there use bundt cake pans. Why do you think that is. I wanted to use a 10x3 inch round pan. Do you think I will regret that decision?
Thanks ahead of time for any help. I'm not really interested in making a practice cake and I know someone here will give me good advice. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:33am
post #2 of 5

Does the recipe state that the poppy seeds should be soaked?

Is the cake a pound cake? If not, a normal batter (using baking powder) should be fine to bake in a different shaped pan.

(Pound cakes are commonly baked in bundt pans because the tube helps them rise - since they don't normally contain baking powder.)

HTH

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:59am
post #3 of 5

I have added poppy seeds to recipes before with no problem. I would see nothing wrong with adding poppy seeds to a regular lemon cake. HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:17am
post #4 of 5

I use poppy seeds for muffins and a family recipe for a ham buscuit spread. I have never soaked them. As far as in a lemon cake, I think it sounds great.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone for the replies. To JanH, thanks for the explaination regarding a bundt cake, as I never knew that was the difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%